Its been a while since I played properly but I've got the motivation, partly due to a long summer and partly due to a girl wanting to learn so I have to get up to scratch again, but last time I restrung my acoustic I used electric guitar strings, which hurt a bit more than I remember actual acoustic strings going. It'd be an easy choice of buying the strings but I also want to buy a capo. At the moment I'm using a shoelace tight around a pencil on the fret as a capo which is okay but there's a slight sound when one string bends occasionally.

My question is, should I buy the capo and hope that my fingers will get used to the harder string, or buy proper acoustic strings and use my makeshift capo?
i'd go buy acoustic strings. although i'd work on getting an actual capo as soon as possible too.

also, have a look on ebay. you can usually get much cheaper strings/capo's which means you could get both and end up getting with the girl you like
i bought my last sets of strings off ebay.
Buy proper acoustic strings and a proper capo.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
acoustic strings sound better on an acoustic guitar. if you figure they'll hurt your fingers, go with lights or extra lights. here's two ideas so you could get them both for $7.50 plus shipping.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-M170-8020-Bronze-Round-Wound-Extra-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=100020

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Elastic-Heavy-Single-Capo?sku=365020

if you don't have even $10 to buy strings and a capo, why not sell something small you already own? or you could collect cans and sell them to a recycling center in only a few hours so you could have proper strings and capo on your guitar.
Quote by patticake
acoustic strings sound better on an acoustic guitar. if you figure they'll hurt your fingers, go with lights or extra lights. here's two ideas so you could get them both for $7.50 plus shipping.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-M170-8020-Bronze-Round-Wound-Extra-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=100020

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Elastic-Heavy-Single-Capo?sku=365020

if you don't have even $10 to buy strings and a capo, why not sell something small you already own? or you could collect cans and sell them to a recycling center in only a few hours so you could have proper strings and capo on your guitar.

Thanks for the ideas. I went down and got some decent light acoustic strings, will fit them later. I've got a few things I could sell, so I'll see about that later as well for the capo. Thanks.
A capo and strings are not that expensive- everything together should cost you less than $30, especially if you go on Ebay or Craigslist to purchase them.

Definitely buy new strings first and then work on the capo if you need to budget.
i've played for many years, and have only very rarely used a capo. i can't see how it would be a must, although depending on how and what you play, it could be a handy thing.

Quote by vintagegibson
I think capo definitely is a must if you consider playing guitar more than a month..
Quote by patticake
i've played for many years, and have only very rarely used a capo. i can't see how it would be a must, although depending on how and what you play, it could be a handy thing.

agreed; I've been playing for almost four years now and I just started using a capo last year. I had no use for it up until that time...then I joined a bluegrass band in the fall and I used it almost every day. Most of the time you can go on without one though; a friend of mine told me the guitarist in his band is set on never using a capo.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Well I've only started playing again a few days ago and the motivation for me to learn again was Ocean by the John Butler Trio, which needs a capo. I asked which one because I only had the money for one but not both. I've gone with the strings and I'm going to find a way to get the other money soon. Thanks for the replies.