So I just recently picked up a used Marshall 1960B and I need to find a head still. I like to play stuff like Parkway Drive and (old) Bring Me The Horizon. Now a lot of people have recommended Peavey and Bugera which both seem like solid options and i'll obviously play them before buying one but the heads i'm looking at are

Peavey 5150/6505

Bugera 6262

Peavey JSX

Bugera 333xl

Now as much as I love playing Parkway Drive I think sometimes their tone feels a little cheap, very middy and chunky. I am not a huge fan of chunky as I play mostly hammer-on-runs and sweeps and such, I very much like smooth. So basically i'm wondering is there a way to make the Peavey 5150 smoother? I've played a JSX combo a while back and I absolutely loved the tone, but would the Bugera 333xl sound just as good for a better price? I know the JSX is more versatile but since it was a while back I can't remember if its metalcore tones were up to par.

Last question is, it's come to my attention that people highly recommend switching out two of the speakers in the 1960B for V30's depending on what head you have, whichever of these you suggest (or even another head that I didn't list, but would fit well) would you suggest keeping the speakers the same? Or switching them out?

Thanks guys.
Either Peavy 6505+ or 6262. If u have money go with 6505, if u don;t 6262.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
6505+ / 5150 II is a little bit smoother than the 5150/6505, which is more 'raw'-sounding. It also has slightly less gain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Agreed, look at a 5150II. The JSX is a fantastic amp, but may be a little too smooth for what youre playing. Have you looked at the peavey XXX? It's voiced a little brighter than the 5150.

I'd definitely take peavey over bugera. I won't get into the tone quality debate, but the construction quality alone is worth it.
Go used for a used peavey. I picked up a peavey ultra 212 combo for a lot less than a bugera and i didn't even need a fire extinguisher
Quote by denied
Have you looked at the peavey XXX?
I'd definitely take peavey over bugera. I won't get into the tone quality debate, but the construction quality alone is worth it.

+1 to both

The XXX will be more versatile than the 6505...and will most likely be cheaper too.
Oh boy if I could afford an ENGL i'd have one haha. But they are way too expensive for me. And would the XXX really be better than the 6505? I'm looking at being able to spend like up to $700 and I don't mind going used.
Quote by Tubeampkid
Oh boy if I could afford an ENGL i'd have one haha. But they are way too expensive for me. And would the XXX really be better than the 6505? I'm looking at being able to spend like up to $700 and I don't mind going used.

There is no 'better' in amp tones. Some people like the XXX cleans better...and it does have the third channel...but some people prefer the sound and gain of a 5150/6505. Both amps should have more than enough gain though. I'd go play both and see which you prefer. Most stores will have both in one form or another. The 3120 is in stock in most guitar stores, and is a XXX with EL34s (the XXX can be switched too, but I like the 6L6s in there more). You could easily get a XXX used for $700...I paid $400 for mine. A 6505 will likely be more...but you should still have no problem finding one within your budget.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jun 28, 2010,
Yeah I've seen a few XXX used for like 400-500 which isn't bad, but i'm also confident I could pick up a 6505 for 600-650.