Hey! First time poster here!

I'm just looking to get some guidance on these items.

Which one would be the better option for home usage?
Generally speaking the Pod has better effects and the Vypyr 60 is an amp with a speaker.

I like the Vypyr 60 because I like speakers and I like the walls to shake sometimes. It has decent effects and above average amp models. It also has a headphone jack. If you like to switch back and forth with effects and such you will want to get a Sanpera pedal with it.

Maybe someone who has more experience with the XT/X3 can give you the advantages over the Vypyr.

Good luck and Welcome to UG
Ok, to begin with, there is a massive difference in tone and dynamics between the Pod XT and the Pod X3. I've owned them both and the X3 is MUCH more natural and dynamic sounding.

Remember that the pod isn't an amp. You'll need an amp to get any sound out of it (unless you plug into it with headphones). The Vypyr is an actual amp.

Honestly, between the two of them it's a horse a piece. But I can tell you that 60 watts of tube power is MUCH louder then you can possibly imagine.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
My son just bought a Vypyr 60 last month. I, of course, use an X3 Live.

In my comparison of the two, I much prefer the X3 Live. However, I also plug my Pod into a good tube amp. All in all, I think the X3 is the better piece of gear, but you'll need to spend good money on buying a tube amp to plug it into.

Not only that, but you'll spend HOURS tweaking your patches on the X3 Live, whereas the Peavey Vypyr was much more straightforward and easier to get good tones out of. The Vypyr is very impressive with it's amp modeling and sounds great. It just doesn't have the insane level of customization & tweaking that the Pod does.

If you're an advanced user/gear hound, then go with the Pod. If you're a beginner to intermediate, then stay away from the Pod......it may just overwhelm you.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Jun 28, 2010,