hi guys when i trem pick on the unbound strings i get alot of pick noise and it sounds so horrible when recorded, i have tried reducing my highs gain etc... and it helped a little but not much.

im currently using tortex 1mm blue picks.

any ideas guys?

thanks james
Try a felt plectrum. They're mostly used for Ukulele's and other instruments with a soft sound, but it sounds like what you're looking for. I'm not sure how thin you could get them, though.
It's in your technique, or you just have poor equipment.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by wozzsta
hi guys when i trem pick on the unbound strings i get alot of pick noise and it sounds so horrible when recorded, i have tried reducing my highs gain etc... and it helped a little but not much.

im currently using tortex 1mm blue picks.

any ideas guys?

thanks james

i have .5 mm tortex red picks. I think the thinner the pick, the faster it gets over the string and therefore reduces that noise. Idk for sure though.
you can buy rubber plectrums. i got some off ebay. they are great for rhythm especially. they are wierd to get used to but they reduce a lot of noise. may things sound a little more finger picked.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by BlisteringDDj
It's in your technique.

how are you holding the pick?
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
To suggest an alternative, I have a BOSS Compression Sustainer (CS-3) with an ATTACK knob. It basically lets you adjust the pick attack from practically unheard (at 0) to insane attack (when cranked). It also increases your sustain if you want a little bonus.

But that's just if you wanted a pedal option.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

As King of Kings and a couple others said... A thicker, rounded profile pick will result in less extraneous noise; they are often used by jazz guys and are often called "jazz" picks.

Pay attention to what the picks are made of as well; I find that nylon produces a less-sharp sound than plastic, for instance. Picks are cheap...Experiment.
Quote by King of King V
Jazz 3s they help alot.

This. I've just bought a bulk of them and they're amazing. Much better sound. Really quite small so they took me a few hours to get used to but they're amazing. Really big difference.
Quote by leg end
This. I've just bought a bulk of them and they're amazing. Much better sound. Really quite small so they took me a few hours to get used to but they're amazing. Really big difference.
Really? I used them for years, thought they completely destroyed my tone... crappy material IMO

Went to Tortex 1.14 and haven't looked back since
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Really? I used them for years, thought they completely destroyed my tone... crappy material IMO

Went to Tortex 1.14 and haven't looked back since

It's personal preference. He likes them, you don't.
I like them, not as much as other picks but they're the easiest for me to play with. I love the V-Pick's tone best, but they're hard for me to play with, they slip a lot and don't cut through the string in the way I like.
Last edited by tenfold at Jun 28, 2010,
Keep the pick more parallel with the string, use a noise gate, and lower your pickups a tad. All of that combined should help with a lot of the noise
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I bought a couple thicker picks but found i got more noise from them, So i started using much softer ones and they gave me a much sweeter tone with no pick noise, especially on acoustic. Ended up throwing out all my harder ones.
I agree with the Jazz III picks. It didn't take me too much time to get used to at all. However, it is quite difficult to control during strumming.
i had the same problem using the blue tortex picks which if im correct are the 1mm you are talking about. i switched to the green .88 tortex and its much better
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Since no one's mentioned it yet: play around with the angle that you hold your pick relative to the strings.
Quote by Apejack Cuba
Since no one's mentioned it yet: play around with the angle that you hold your pick relative to the strings.

This.

I've never had trouble with pick noise; if I don't like the noise the pick is making I change the angle of attack on the string.

There's a Paul Gilbert video somewhere that explains how he likes a "scratchy" tone, which he achieves by angling the pick to the string. Same ideas apply.
hey guys thanks for the replys. for the ones asking about technique, i have tryed so many different ways, from holding the pick parallel to the string, to holding it at 45 degrees eather facing forward or backward, changing how hard i pick, from using just the very very tip of the pick to using more of it. pick up hight ect... non of it really worked for me.

i think so far ill look into jazzIII a lot of people here seem to like them so i guess ill give them a try.