am i insane for wanting this? i need the abilities of the floyd rose, but i love semi hollow's tone so much. would it be insane to route it and install one? is it possible?
thanks

EDIT: wow i sound like a tard...
but i still want it...
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Jun 28, 2010,
ummmmmmmmmm acoustic simulator pedal maybe?
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
it could work, but you have to put a piece of solid wood along the length of the body to accomodate for the tension, and allow accurate fitting
If you hand made one, sure. If you route out a stock one, most likely no.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Creeping_Kwano
it could work, but you have to put a piece of solid wood along the length of the body to accomodate for the tension, and allow accurate fitting

semi-hollow guitars typically have a solid piece of wood down the center of the body, so that shouldnt be an issue. of course you have to make sure that the route isnt cutting the wood completly apart on the width, but with carefull planning im sure you could make do. glue some extra supports to the sides of the center piece for support of course.

so, im no luthier, but i dont see it being completly unreasonable. the biggest problem i see (other than going completly through the center block) is that the top of a semi-hollow is usually arched. now i have seen floyds on LPs, so i wouldnt say that a slight top carve is a huge issue, but the curve on the top of a semi-hollow is typically more pronounced. not sure that it is flat enough for a FR. if you know exactly what you are doing and plan very carefully, i think you have a chance of doing it. however if you dont plan on being extremely meticulous or dont have a good knowledge of woodworking, dont try it.
Would this work with a chambered solid-body?
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.