Use the standard blues scales, you can improvise anything in the 12-bar blues.
I tend to use a lot of bends and slides when I play blues.
you can also turn to some blues chords ( A7 is briliant)
good luck
Listen. The structure of most blues songs is pretty simple. 3-chord progressions, 12-ish bars.
Note that many of the old masters were rather loose with that 12-bar stuff....
YouTube has dozens of fine recordings of all the blues masters. Sit down and listen to Muddy and Elmore and Furry and the dozens of others that will link off of those guys.
If the dude just started playing. He aint gonna know what the hell 12bars, 3 chord progression ect. are. Okay, just listen to blues, Listen to the way its played. Kind of study it.

Just practice, and start improvising. Improv will sound like shit, but it'll get better. Practice for you to get used of the guitar. Listen for the sounds you'd like to make.

Try, bends and alot of them. Learn how to hammer on, pull off. Dont learn too many songs, you got to learn how to improvise.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Its okay, don't get all overwhelmed or something. First of all, I have a question;
Do you mean the old school Muddy Waters blues, or more of a Clapton blues-rock?

In the end, just listen and play, learn some stuff along the line but I have found anything worth learning is going to be so useful to any kind of music that the best option is to just take in as much as you possibly can.

Hows the music scene in your area?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Just listen listen listen man. The blues is 100% interpretation. Once you've listened to enough blues you won't have any questions, just keep on listening and don't rush anything. Check out Albert King and Robin Trower.
Barf

Fender 70's reissue strat
Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
How to Play the Blues

Step One: Get a Girlfriend (or Boy friend as the case may be)

Step Two: Loose Girfriend (or Boy friend ) to the drummer in your band

Step Three: Drink Heavily and/or Do Drug's

Step Four: Loose your job,Crash your car or get Arrested.

Step Five: Now you have the Blues, Play guitar Accordingly

I hope this help's
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
There are a variety of guitar blues styles to choose from. So rather than shifting your focus and switching on different variety of styles just focus and master on a single first, then switch to learn other. For learning guitar blues there is no specific technique,, it all depends upon your willingness, practice and how well you catch. Well I have a good suggestion for you, try looking for the videos for tabs for many artists from the first half of the 20th century. It is the best way to learn easily. Good Luck Buddy
Last edited by cusackcody at Sep 17, 2010,
I think the key to a success is to listen a lot. If you are listening the same melodies over and over - you can remember just a single sound after some time. And then you can take your guitar and try to play it veeeeery slowly. And then - play it faster.
Quote by DanielBowie
how can i learn to play blues?

i know 2 scales is there techniques or excerises?

Step 1.
Familiarise yourself with the 12-bar blues. Basically every blues song is structured around the 12-bar blues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-bar_blues

Step 2.a
Next learn the minor pentatonic scale and the blues scale. The latter is just the minor pentatonic scale with the addition of the `blue' note (diminished 5th).

Step 2.b
Learn about simple chords, dominant 7, 9th chords. This will help you harmonically -- you're not always playing solos during a blues song, and at those times you want to make the standard 12-bar blues chords sound interesting.

Step 3.
Next listen to a lot of blues. Listen to Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, BB King, the list goes on. Copy the blues licks from the masters. Incorporate it into your own playing. http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/mastery/the-essence-of-improvisation-your-inner-jukebox/

4.a
Learn as many blues turnarounds as you can get your hands on.

4.b
Learn as many blues styles as you can comfortably handle.
5. Repeat 3. and 4. ad nauseum.
Last edited by willemhdb at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by dngrsdave
How to Play the Blues

Step One: Get a Girlfriend (or Boy friend as the case may be)

Step Two: Loose Girfriend (or Boy friend ) to the drummer in your band

Step Three: Drink Heavily and/or Do Drug's

Step Four: Loose your job,Crash your car or get Arrested.

Step Five: Now you have the Blues, Play guitar Accordingly

I hope this help's

Or alternatively:

1: Go to crossroads.
2: Trade soul to the Devil.
3: ?????
4: Profit!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.