I have an RG2570MZ..

I need tips on how to maintain the bridge and other parts from rusting..
anybody have any ideas?
yeah well I've been doin' that.. I just bought the guitar for less than a year now.. but used almost everyday...

how about the bridge? Do I have to apply some kind of oil there or something? it starts to look dry..
Just wipe it down, keep it in it's nice furry hardshell case if you have one for it.
it`s a prestige model, which means a prestige manual should of been supplied with it (if not download it from the ibanez site), everything you need to know is in that manual.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
it`s a prestige model, which means a prestige manual should of been supplied with it (if not download it from the ibanez site), everything you need to know is in that manual.

I have the manual right here.. but it doesn't say anything about applying something to the metallic parts to keep it from getting rust it just states that "to keep it from getting dry".. Does gun oil prevent rust or will it do more damage in terms of rusting?
Uh, if you coat it in a thin layer of oil, besides gasoline. It should create an airtight layer if applied properly. So no, there will be no rusting. Just use a brush or something, and take the bridge off your guitar(if it's a stop-tail), then apply it all over.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
I'll take note of that.. but besides oil.. how about the liquid metal polish?.. will that work as well or screw the hardware?

because applying oil is a problem with the presence of dirt or dust.. I know I have to clean it properly before application but I'm trying to be extra safe here.. XD..
As long as you don't apply such a thick layer the oil is dripping all over the pickups and whatnot. Yes, dust will be a problem, so you'll have to clean it frequently to prevent buildup.
You're also going to need some form of degreaser or oil stripper, just make sure it doesn't eat through the metal or plastic bits before you buy it.
But don't take what I said to be truth, because I'm just trying to think of good improv. ideas.

Tbh, I didn't know that bridges rusted. I thought they were covered in chrome or somesuch to prevent that happening.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by Nimbus456
As long as you don't apply such a thick layer the oil is dripping all over the pickups and whatnot. Yes, dust will be a problem, so you'll have to clean it frequently to prevent buildup.
You're also going to need some form of degreaser or oil stripper, just make sure it doesn't eat through the metal or plastic bits before you buy it.
But don't take what I said to be truth, because I'm just trying to think of good improv. ideas.

Tbh, I didn't know that bridges rusted. I thought they were covered in chrome or somesuch to prevent that happening.

my friend's old guitar had rust in his bridge.. but his is just some vintage trem and the rust looks horrible.. in my case I'm trying to avoid rust build up in all metal parts of the guitar as much as possible so that I don't have to face bigger problems later..

If things go bad.. I might have to replace the parts itself.. and in where I am those parts are hard to find.. Xo
gun oil or sewing machine oil will be fine, you only need to use a drop on the knife edges and springs even less on the saddle,
where do you live? if it is especially humid where you are perhaps there isn't too much you can do.
Quote by Thistle72
where do you live? if it is especially humid where you are perhaps there isn't too much you can do.

in a tropical place.. and about that liquid metal polish..? will that work as well? I have to know so that I could decide on buying either the polish or the gun oil.. or both..
dont apply unnecessary oils to your trem,it could ruin the finish and/or operation of the trem...afaik knife edges are designed for dry operation,so I dont think applying oil is a very good idea

just wipe it down every time you play it..and always wash your hands before playing your instrument
Quote by archenemyfan
dont apply unnecessary oils to your trem,it could ruin the finish and/or operation of the trem...afaik knife edges are designed for dry operation,so I dont think applying oil is a very good idea

just wipe it down every time you play it..and always wash your hands before playing your instrument

but it's been dry for a month and also have followed the routine that everybody else said to me.. but there is this small build up on the screw that holds the bridge..
so is the gun oil good or no good? as one of the other guy mentioned that I only needed a drop..
I had a Floyd Rose licenced bridge which was quite discoloured and rusted. I took the whole thing to pieces and put all the pieces in a bowl of Coca-Cola overnight. The next day I thoroughly rinsed all the pieces, dried them with a hairdryer, and now....no more rust.

Won't stop it rusting in the first place though....sorry!
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Quote by ShredMan1224
but it's been dry for a month and also have followed the routine that everybody else said to me.. but there is this small build up on the screw that holds the bridge..
so is the gun oil good or no good? as one of the other guy mentioned that I only needed a drop..

mm,lets see,this thread was opened two days go,so you didnt follow any of this for a month..start doing it now,and it wont happen again(for a few months)

the screw that holds the bridge?the studs?umm,I dont know its up to you,you can try it..but thats something I certainly wouldn't recommended..you can apply chapstick to the knife edges if you want better functionality

but you know what?In the end,no matter how hard you try,It is going to get rusted and the finish is going to be ruined after a few years ruined..I think you're just being too picky
Quote by archenemyfan
mm,lets see,this thread was opened two days go,so you didnt follow any of this for a month..start doing it now,and it wont happen again(for a few months)

the screw that holds the bridge?the studs?umm,I dont know its up to you,you can try it..but thats something I certainly wouldn't recommended..you can apply chapstick to the knife edges if you want better functionality

but you know what?In the end,no matter how hard you try,It is going to get rusted and the finish is going to be ruined after a few years ruined..I think you're just being too picky

Well actually I've been wiping it for a long time.. it just so happened to see the problem after I gave it a closer look while changing the strings..

and I'm not being too picky.. I was just concerned about how it affects the rest of the hardware and that I try to preserve its usefulness as much as I can..

plus I'm trying to find out if there are other remedies to my problem besides the continuous wiping.. is it so bad to take care of things I so happen to have?
Quote by ShredMan1224
Well actually I've been wiping it for a long time.. it just so happened to see the problem after I gave it a closer look while changing the strings..

and I'm not being too picky.. I was just concerned about how it affects the rest of the hardware and that I try to preserve its usefulness as much as I can..

plus I'm trying to find out if there are other remedies to my problem besides the continuous wiping.. is it so bad to take care of things I so happen to have?

theres no problem in that,but I prefer function over aesthetics..

and the cosmo finish on modern ibbys tend to come off quickly,so might as well wanna do something to the paint too

plus,I was just trying to warn you about the consequences you might experience by trying to overdo things,I had to learn it the hard way after I put too much scratch removing solution on my guitar and it almost completely destroyed the clear coat over the actual paint,but if you want to argue with me and oil it i wont stop you,its your guitar
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
theres no problem in that,but I prefer function over aesthetics..

and the cosmo finish on modern ibbys tend to come off quickly,so might as well wanna do something to the paint too

plus,I was just trying to warn you about the consequences you might experience by trying to overdo things,I had to learn it the hard way after I put too much scratch removing solution on my guitar and it almost completely destroyed the clear coat over the actual paint,but if you want to argue with me and oil it i wont stop you,its your guitar

Hold on.. I haven't even decided in using any oil.. that's why I ask.. I came to these forums to check on information if others have tried it or have anything to say about it.. It's not like I choose to listen to one guy and dismiss the rest..

I take into consideration of what others might say and continue to ask around.. well, I'm sorry if I seem like I don't listen..
Quote by ShredMan1224
Hold on.. I haven't even decided in using any oil.. that's why I ask.. I came to these forums to check on information if others have tried it or have anything to say about it.. It's not like I choose to listen to one guy and dismiss the rest..

first of all,what I did was give you some information and a warning of the consequences that you might have to face by oiling it..i didn't force you to keep it dry(not oil it)

umm,I dont know its up to you,you can try it

I dont think applying oil...

Quote by ShredMan1224
I take into consideration of what others might say and continue to ask around.. well, I'm sorry if I seem like I don't listen..

yeah ,so did I ever tell you not to?

this all started because I said that you're beign picky and overly concerned,I am sorry,if you did not want to hear that,but thats what it looks like to me from your post..if you're gonna replace parts just because their paint has come off,i am sorry you certainly are..

Quote by ShredMan1224
If things go bad.. I might have to replace the parts itself.. and in where I am those parts are hard to find.. Xo

I understand that you want to take care if it,but these things are inevitable,scratches,dings and discolored parts...It adds character to your guitar
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 30, 2010,
This isn't about paints coming off the parts.. It's about me trying to find some clues to preserve the guitar from rust at some point.. I totally accept that I am overly concerned but I am not being too picky.. and what I mean as "things go bad" is when it's totally screwed over where parts no longer work the way it should be.. I am not going to leave it at that..

I actually have this other guitar once where the rust just destroyed a part of the bridge because all I could do is just use it and wipe it while it rots away.. now I replaced it with parts that are meant for a different guitar..

This is all I could say.. nothing more..