Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm going to be purchasing a new amp today after spending much time saving, and am looking at the Vox VT30. My music styles are geared towards modern rock/alternative. Bands like Breaking Benjamin, 3DG, Linkin Park... Would this be a good amp for these artists, and achieve a similar tone. I also have a question regarding the 22 pre set amp models. Are you able to bypass these amp models and play the Vox as it's own amp, using the effects like gain, treble... Help would be appreciated!
Last edited by FALLENxANGEL84 at Jun 28, 2010,
It is a solid amp for many uses, but IMO the modern distortion tones are a bit muddy.

You can't bypass the amp models, but most of them are versatile & quite adjustable on their own. Just play with the knobs

E: I own the VT50.
Quote by Jyrgen
It is a solid amp for many uses, but IMO the modern distortion tones are a bit muddy.

You can't bypass the amp models, but most of them are versatile & quite adjustable on their own. Just play with the knobs

E: I own the VT50.

Thanks for the response. From what I understand though, about the distortion, you can bypass the effects and link up a good set of petals right?
Ive got the VT50 and its pretty good. I really like the clean punchy sounds, but i cant say much about the distortion. Ive had it for about 5 months, and the knobs hardly go past halfway on the presets. Im just not much a fan of it.

Also, if anybody does know how pedals sound through it i would be wanting to know also haha.

But its a good beginner/intermediate amp.

Again, one quick thing that i like is on the back of my VT50 there is a knob that goes from 5 watts to 50 watts (or 30 watts in your case) and you can adjust it to keep at a low volume with the volume and master cranked all the way up.. I really like that about this amp.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I had it for a year and a 3 months. I liked it a lot. The distortion tones were pretty great in my opinion, they could handle a lot of styles (if you want the bassy kind of metal distortion you may be out of luck. the heavy distortions, as with just about all of the settings on the amp, are more on the trebly side. Probably good for your purposes but it depends on what you want). The cleans won't be sparkling clear, but they work. You can't bypass the models unfortunately :/ and if you ever want to use pedals to give it your own sound, it's not going to sound good. I've tried several. It works, somewhat, but it's going to sound rather thin, tinny and/or just plain not sound good, depending on your pedal.

For the most part though, it's a solid amp and should work for your purposes. I'd get a 2 year warranty on it (if you're getting from Guitar Center or anywhere that offers it) personally. I did that when I got mine and what do you know, a year and a half later, the amps stopped working. Completely. It just died. Apparently this happens quite a bit with these amps, just warning you. Won't necessarily happen to you but just a personal suggestion.
Just to also add to my original question. It's either this amp, or the line 6 spider 4 (30 watt). Any suggestions comparing the two?
Quote by FALLENxANGEL84
Just to also add to my original question. It's either this amp, or the line 6 spider 4 (30 watt). Any suggestions comparing the two?

Do not get the Spider. If you spend enough times on this forum and every time you post "I have a Spider!!!" You will get raped . That and Marshall MG's are the most hated things on this forums.

But besides that, if you absolutly love the spider, get it. I think the Vox is much better than the Spider because i have owned both. Thats just to my ear though. Play them both, go through the presets, and find what you like.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Do not get the Spider. If you spend enough times on this forum and every time you post "I have a Spider!!!" You will get raped . That and Marshall MG's are the most hated things on this forums.

But besides that, if you absolutly love the spider, get it. I think the Vox is much better than the Spider because i have owned both. Thats just to my ear though. Play them both, go through the presets, and find what you like.

Well my current amp is a Marshall MG10. It sucks sooooo hard and is the reason I have to buy a new amp today. I can't stand it.
Quote by FALLENxANGEL84
Well my current amp is a Marshall MG10. It sucks sooooo hard and is the reason I have to buy a new amp today. I can't stand it.

Jeez people are going to destroy you in these forums

EDIT: Also, have you considered buying used off Ebay or Craigslist?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Jeez people are going to destroy you in these forums

EDIT: Also, have you considered buying used off Ebay or Craigslist?

No i'm going to buy it at a local music store.
Anyone know anything about the Peavy Vypr 30? It actually looks like it caters more towards my style. (Hard Rock/Modern Alt./Metal)
I have the Vox VT30 and IMO it's great. I love the cleans and distortion. Some say that the hi-gain models aren't so great but i think that it does the job, just don't expect a Pantera-ish tone. If you wanna use it for practice is great but you may need a mic to play live.

EDIT: I use the US 90's model for Rhythm and the UK Modern for leads if that matters. You shoud try the Peavey Vypyr 30, it is supposed to do hi-gain better but lo-gain/cleans not so good like the vox. Go and try them.
Hola.
Last edited by luyano at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by FALLENxANGEL84
Anyone know anything about the Peavy Vypr 30? It actually looks like it caters more towards my style. (Hard Rock/Modern Alt./Metal)

Seems like the Vypyr and the VT series are about the same in quality, but are very different amps.

The VT handels cleans alot better while the Vypyr is more for metal.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!