anyone go to a CC?
as far as student life, and getting to know people, how is it?

i know it's cheaper and everything, but i kinda want to get a lot out of my college experience.

my problem here is that the university i want to go to is far from everything (hardcore shows, Boise in general.)

and i know i could save money going to a community college in my area.
but is it worth it?
i may end up hating it, i think.
I go to a CC at the moment. It's not that bad, although I do see almost everyone I hated from high school on a daily basis >.>

I don't know about CC's there but the CC I attend has a limited number of degrees offered so I'm just there to get my basics so I won't be there much longer, then I'm switching to a University.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jun 28, 2010,
i say do youre studys and have as much fun as you can doin it, dont buy into the you need to go to college shit. odds are the same piece of paper is cheaper and there for less debt
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by GArrigan
i say do youre studys and have as much fun as you can doin it,

... which is my main reason for NOT going to a community college.
i mean, i'll eventually switch to a university,
i just don't want to get discouraged with college by going somewhere i don't like.

it'd be nice to save some money.
but i'd miss out on a lot of stuff that i love doing too.
Start at a Community College then move to a University it is a big difference! Maybe by the end of getting the basics at a cc your major will have changed!
I like your picture TonyRandall, but can't comment on CC's, I'm at a university, which is alright I guess.
Community college is alright. You occasionally get lucky, make a friend in your class or whatever. The classes are smaller than those at a University, so sometimes group activities happen, you meet people. Some community colleges have clubs or shit where you can get together with other new students and meet people. But keep in mind for everyone there your age, there will be plenty of older students who are going back to school, you know? They're often super nice. Much nicer than regular students. It just so happens they're 40 or whatever, haha, which I don't care about, but is something to keep in mind.

I transfered out of community college to a four year university. I really didn't enjoy community college that much (classes were too easy, I didn't know / meet anyone really cool). I love my new school, but you gotta keep in mind that going the first year or two to community college means you miss out on a lot of the "get to know people" events that happen at colleges freshmen year. You don't live in a dorm, etc.

There are transfer student activities, but you know, they're hit or miss.

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any more questions.
DOWN&OUT
I'm finishing up my General Studies at a community college this Fall.

I have almost all the credits I need for an Associate's Degree in General Studies but due to technicalities and financial aid and whatnot, I have to go to CC for an entire year and take on a full load, so I'll have a bunch of BS classes I don't really need.

Once I finish my Associate's though, I'm pretty much guaranteed a spot at several universities of my choice, since I have a high SAT score and would be going in as a transfer student rather than a Freshman.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by offthewall91
I go to a CC at the moment. It's not that bad, although I do see almost everyone I hated form high school on a daily basis >.>

that would be the death of me

and +1 we have the same guitar
I let you get away so cleanly.
Quote by pnkhrdwndr
that would be the death of me

and +1 we have the same guitar

You don't know how badly I want to grab a few of them and throw them off the roof. >.>

Telecasters are just
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jun 28, 2010,
I go to a CC, but I'm only there to get my basic classes out of the way. Once I do that I plan on transfering to a Uni to work on my majors and stuff.

The one I'm at is alright. I don't hate it, but it's nothing really that special. It's been pretty easy though, and the people there are fine and easy to get along with. You don't live in a dorm, and I know to some people that's one of the things they look forwards to (i've never understood why though). It's small, and there's going to be old people, but there's still clubs to join and things like that. Its a good idea to attend one if you want to save money and then transer to a university like I'm doing.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
I go to a CC, but I'm only there to get my basic classes out of the way. Once I do that I plan on transfering to a Uni to work on my majors and stuff.

The one I'm at is alright. I don't hate it, but it's nothing really that special. It's been pretty easy though, and the people there are fine and easy to get along with. You don't live in a dorm, and I know to some people that's one of the things they look forwards to (i've never understood why though). It's small, and there's going to be old people, but there's still clubs to join and things like that. Its a good idea to attend one if you want to save money and then transer to a university like I'm doing.

Ugh, I hate the idea of living in a dorm; it kinda contributed to my decision to stay home and go to CC.

I haven't completely decided what I want to do though yet; I can either live at home and go to CC, or I can move out once I get a job and rent a room from my friend (his dad is moving to California for work and basically giving him control of the house) and live on my own for awhile.

Once I land a job I'll have more than enough money to pay the rent (100 bucks a month, and that includes utilities) and live on my own, and I think the experience sounds kinda fun and interesting.

I still haven't decided though. When I transfer to a university though, I plan on getting an apartment with a few people and sharing the rent.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
If you're worried about social life, there is an extreme difference. The majority of my old high school buddies went to community college and their social experiences were absolutely nothing like the ones that go on with the university students.

A lot of relationships and adventures are a direct result of spending the bulk of your day on campus and being crammed into a dorm with a ton of other people you otherwise might not have gotten to know.

I think the suite-style housing at a lot of universities is probably somewhat detrimental too (not to mention, more expensive than traditional dormatory housing).

Leaving your home town also forces you to grow and develop yourself socially, even if you're like me and not all that out-going. It can also be a nice chance to start over and redefine yourself: my self esteem and self-understanding shot through the roof because I got a chance to get away from the definitions and roles imposed on me by the group of peers I grew up around. I wasn't even an unhappy high school student, but I got so much more freedom to be exactly who I wanted to be when I got out of my hometown and away from the old crowd.
Quote by dudetheman
Ugh, I hate the idea of living in a dorm; it kinda contributed to my decision to stay home and go to CC.

I haven't completely decided what I want to do though yet; I can either live at home and go to CC, or I can move out once I get a job and rent a room from my friend (his dad is moving to California for work and basically giving him control of the house) and live on my own for awhile.

Once I land a job I'll have more than enough money to pay the rent (100 bucks a month, and that includes utilities) and live on my own, and I think the experience sounds kinda fun and interesting.

I still haven't decided though. When I transfer to a university though, I plan on getting an apartment with a few people and sharing the rent.

I'm actually doing what you're talking about right now. I rent out a small house from my aunt. Me and three other guys live there and we all work so it's pretty easy to pay rent. Living on your own doesn't sound to bad either though. I'd go with doing that for now.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
I'm actually doing what you're talking about right now. I rent out a small house from my aunt. Me and three other guys live there and we all work so it's pretty easy to pay rent. Living on your own doesn't sound to bad either though. I'd go with doing that for now.

I may once I get a decent job but for now I have to stay home. I just get odd jobs (less than 10 hours a week, minimum wage) and I can't handle responsibility on that kind of work.

I've really thought about it though; living on my own with my friend would be cool.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by TheSexPanthers
If you want to be one of the "bros" go for it

i just want to have a good experience.
not be a douchebag. haha.

and it'll help keep my grades up
I haven't been to a CC, but I know a few people that at least attended one for a year or two to get some general requirements out of the way before going to a university. They didn't seem to get much of a "college experience" out of it at all.
Quote by daytripper75
I haven't been to a CC, but I know a few people that at least attended one for a year or two to get some general requirements out of the way before going to a university. They didn't seem to get much of a "college experience" out of it at all.
You don't. But it's easy and cheap.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I don't see why people care about getting this college experience. I had plenty of classmates from high school go to my CC and as far as I can tell they are more socially active than ever and get as drunk as any regular uni student.

Even then, I know plenty of people who went to the local uni and they still live at home.
Quote by element4433
You don't. But it's easy and cheap.

Yeah I know. They definitely have advantages.

Since he was asking about getting the "college experience" I figured I'd comment on that.
Quote by metaldud536
tell they are more socially active than ever and get as drunk as any regular uni student.

i don't plan on getting drunk very often.

once in a while maybe...
i'm just not into it that much.
According to what I have heard, the CC in my city is like another grade in high school. You see alot of the same people you graduated with and share the same classes. It is much cheaper and they usually have an impressive amount of degrees to offer (they go into the hundreds). I chose to go to my local university because it is a lot more affordable than many of the other universities here in Texas.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I'm going to a CC starting in September. I don't expect it to be fantastic or anything but them again I'm just going to be able to transfer in a few years. But I'll also be attending MI during all this time that, my friends, is what I expect to be amazing.

▲ ▲

World War Z
~♥~

[addicted][to][you]
My dearest friend, if you don't mind
I'd like to join you by your side
Where we can gaze into the stars
And sit together, now and forever
For it is plain as anyone can see
We're simply meant to be
Being crammed into a dorm was one of the best things to ever happen to me. You learn a lot about yourself and whatnot.

Anyways, my brother went to community college and had no "college experience." When you are there, there's never that point in time where everyone on your floor decides to goto waffle house at 4am... so you have to search the whole building for someone who is both awake and sober at 4am to drive you there. That's the type of stuff where I learned the most about myself.

Also, CC classes tend to be ridiculously easier than the equivalent courses at a "real" university. I taught at a CC, it was the equivalent of my high school courses instead of my university courses.