I do this a lot. Let me explain....

...sometimes I'll have a lot happening in my life or I'll be busy with something and I won't get a chance to sit down and seriously play the guitar for weeks at a time. Sometimes I just don't feel the urge to play....

...then, all of a sudden, I'll get it again, and I'll pick up my guitar and play for hours.

This just happened to me. I haven't seriously played in about four days and I just picked up my hollowbody and had a good two or three hour jam.

Anyone else do this a lot? I'm not all that dedicated to my instrument in case you didn't realize; I just do it for fun.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Three or four days? I haven't played in about a month. To answer your question, yes.

EDIT: It's not about not having the time to play either. It's about being bored with guitar and just not having the motivation to actually play.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Jun 28, 2010,
yeah for sure. i try to play atleast like a half hour everday.. but im superrrrr busy so sometimes i go a few days before actually sitting down and dedicating time to my guitar .... and yeah sometimes u just get that urge and u have to play. dont feel bad... im sure lots of ppl feel this way atleast sometimes.
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
that happens to me but only for like a day. but then again I play easy stuff like blink-182 so it's not like I get frustrated
I let you get away so cleanly.
i just went through about a month when i didnt play guitar at all. Ending school, golf season, girlfriend, and work just killed me. Now that school is done, golf is over, girlfriend moved back home i can now finally play
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by IXIchiodoIXI
i just went through about a month when i didnt play guitar at all. Ending school, golf season, girlfriend, and work just killed me. Now that school is done, golf is over, girlfriend moved back home i can now finally play

I've never gone a month without playing I don't think, but sometimes I'll also have this happen on a larger scale than a few days.

Sometimes I won't play much (or at all) for a week or so, then I'll go on a "guitar binge" and play hours and hours every day for a week, and set up tons of jam sessions and whatnot.

Then, it's back to dormancy for a little while. It's odd.

I do this with all my hobbies really.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
I've never gone a month without playing I don't think, but sometimes I'll also have this happen on a larger scale than a few days.

Sometimes I won't play much (or at all) for a week or so, then I'll go on a "guitar binge" and play hours and hours every day for a week, and set up tons of jam sessions and whatnot.

you do that with all your hobbies?? hahah jsut realized i do to...
maybe it has to do with ur inspiration
are u inspired to ply anything?
for example i paint- but only like 3 or 4 times a year
u have to have a feeling within that is like a yearning to do something and if its not there then u dont even want to mess with it
and if u cant multitask and can only focuz all ur attention on onething then other things fall to the side... perhaps ur guitar
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
I sometimes get bored of it if my instruments are driving me insane (my guitars are really low quality) or if i've just played too much for one day, but it rarely lasts more than a day.
I've had the housey-wousey to myself for a few days, and where we live theres no one I can really irritate with my guitar playing right now, so I've had my amp cranked all week, it's really nice, nigh0on liberating.
Quote by M0lliP0Ps
you do that with all your hobbies?? hahah jsut realized i do to...
maybe it has to do with ur inspiration
are u inspired to ply anything?
for example i paint- but only like 3 or 4 times a year
u have to have a feeling within that is like a yearning to do something and if its not there then u dont even want to mess with it
and if u cant multitask and can only focuz all ur attention on onething then other things fall to the side... perhaps ur guitar

I dunno, sometimes I just feel like doing certain things instead of others.

It's like fishing; I'll go on a couple weeks of bass fishing every day or every couple of days straight, then I'll put up my rods and tackle and I won't fish for a few weeks. Then, I'll do it again in a few more weeks.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Yeah i have hit a bit of a writers block, i hadn't played my guitar in a good few weeks as i left them at uni, when i got them back i had a massive session that lasted from about the time i got ready and put my clothes on to the point i was getting ready to go to bed.

Hopefully i will be back writing new stuff soon.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Having a good warm-up that you play is the best thing for that. Having something you can at least try to play once every day if you feel like playing nothing else so that you can keep up practice and callus is really important. That's the only way to really get good at guitar. Otherwise, you slowly lose your skill over time. Playing guitar is NOT like riding a bike.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
It depends on how good you want to be, I was told by a studio musician that you need to practice six-hours a day if you want to never make mistakes and do studio/hired gun work
Quote by Bad Kharmel
It depends on how good you want to be, I was told by a studio musician that you need to practice six-hours a day if you want to never make mistakes and do studio/hired gun work

I don't intend to make a career of my music.

I just do it for entertainment; I like the rush I get from playing my own music in band situations and jumping around to the beat and jamming out.

If it somehow miraculously does go somewhere and I can make money playing then by all means, that's great, but I'm not going to strive for it really. I think practicing that much and for the sole purpose of getting amazing and making it big would suck the fun out of it and turn it into a job more so than an escape, which is what it is for me.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman

yeah that month off really sucked. i hate being that busy when i cant sit down and enjoy playing guitar
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
I have my amp and pedalboard always set up in my room, I'll sometimes play that on and off all day and the time would amount to 1 or 2 hours a day, However my mum is rather fussy so I'll sometimes play with headphones on most of the time.

But even now sitting at my desk on UG, I always have my acoustic guitar on my knee. Always.
I've been into music since I can remember and haven't had any off periods. I sometimes have phases where I want to play my electric over my acoustic, (my acoustic being my primary instrument). But I'm NEVER "not in the mood" to play. I'm happy to play whenever really haha
Well the most I go without playing guitar might be a week if I'm very busy of lazy.

Also, sometimes I fall out of listening to music. For example: As you may know, I'm a massive Metallica guy (durr ). In March I started listening to Rammstein more than usual, and really got into them. Then Mastodon, and it continued from there into all genres; classical, blues, punk, rock etc., the whole 9 yards. Recently I've been getting back into Metallica again, but now I have a larger, broader musical taste. It's quite awesome.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht