I had the tubes on my tube amp switched out literally two days ago and it was working EXCELLENTLY yesterday, but today it isn't even making a SOUND.

I did everything the exact same as yesterday, but it still won't make ANY sound at all. All the lights are coming on for stand by, and on and it seems like it is working perfectly but it just isn't making any sound!

Then, to make sure it was the amp with the problem I got a different amp and connected it to the same outlet, and connected the same guitar to it with the same cord and it worked. Then I went back to the tube amp and it still wasn't working!

This is really frustrating seeing how I thought I was done worrying about it...

The only "lead" I have to figuring this out is that the "connector" (the slot on the back of the amp where you plug in the cord from the outlet to the amp) is "messed up", like a little bent and stuff. But it has been like that for a long time and it was even working yesterday

Do you guys have any ideas?
I believe there is a fuse in the AC connector of every amp, also, is there a possibility that it is the power cable for your amp? I'm no expert..
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
if the lights are on and stuff its getting power are your tubes glowing equally?
if not it could be a blown fuse and u shuld check them also check the volume on ur amp and stuff
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
It's not the fuse, because the amp is powering on.
Try pushing all the tubes back in, one might have went loose, this the only thing I can fthink about
If all the light are coming on it cant be a fuse, cus nothing would work if you had a blown fuse at the power input.

Was the amp biased correctly when the tubes were changed. If not it is possible for them(power tubes) and the amp to run hot and that could cause a failure somewhere in the power amp section of the amp.
Are the tubes lighting up when you turn it on?

It sounds like the transformer might be gone. A similar thing happened to me before, the amp powered on find but the tubes didn't light up and no sound was coming out. I had to bring it to a tech, he never said what was actually wrong with it but I always figured it was the output transformer.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
The tubes are both lighting up

There is a little orange light where they connect to the amp and they are both bluey in the actual tube
Quote by Tmusician

There is a little orange light where they connect to the amp and they are both bluey in the actual tube

If tubes glow blue it means they're broken or are about to break, get new ones.

I'm not 100% sure about this though, some sound tech guy wrote it in another thread about the same subject.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Last edited by Gord@k at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by Tmusician

What about the preamp tubes?
Quote by GNR4EVER
Are the tubes lighting up when you turn it on?

It sounds like the transformer might be gone. A similar thing happened to me before, the amp powered on find but the tubes didn't light up and no sound was coming out. I had to bring it to a tech, he never said what was actually wrong with it but I always figured it was the output transformer.

That sounds nothing like an OT problem. What makes you think that it was?

And^ tubes glow blue because they have a larger than average gas content. They work fine though.

TS, I'm not sure what's wrong and very few people here even have a chance of hoping to guess what's wrong over the internet. Take it to a tech.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
tubes glowing blue are fine u dont want them glowing bright red i bet its the output transformed i said fuse before cus mine has a fuse for the power section as well as a master fuse
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by mmolteratx
That sounds nothing like an OT problem. What makes you think that it was?

Well after making a thread here that's what everyone was saying it most likely was
Just take it to a tech if you can't find any external problems. We don't want you to get electrocuted, unless it looks cool. In which case...
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Well I just dropped it off at my local music store for the tech there to check it out.

It didn't seem like it was able to be fixed, I even tried pressing in the tubes but it didn't change anything...

Hopefully they can get it fixed
Last edited by Tmusician at Jun 28, 2010,
my bet is you overclocked the PT pulling too much current and the HT fuse blew. the overclocking was caused by the new tubes, guessing power tubes, biased too hot, pulling too much current.

or that the speaker is unplugged.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Tmusician
It was a faulty tube! And they replaced it for free! Awesome

Glad it was only a small problem and that you got it sorted out quickly