I have never built a guitar before... I have plenty of tools capable of doing the Job, I'm really just looking for links to tutorials and plans

Obviously any beginner advice would be appreciated

I have access to any wood, but I have a question will Yew Tree be any good

I'm considering making a Telecaster or Les Paul style

Thanks in advance
Here's a tip: guitarfetish.com is a good source for parts
GFS pickups are pretty sweet
Quote by DisasterMatt
Here's a tip: guitarfetish.com is a good source for parts
GFS pickups are pretty sweet

Sweet man thanks they look great, Anyone any experience on actually building one from scratch... eg. a block of tonewood and cutting out the shape

I'm really looking for specific measurements for that job
Are you looking for templates? Like i said, read up. That thread has links to almost anything you could need, like templates.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Have you done any of your own research?

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock is a good place to start, along with the numerous threads/tutorials on here.
Quote by lostcreation333
Have you done any of your own research?

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock is a good place to start, along with the numerous threads/tutorials on here.

Well breifly, I have a slight idea how to go about it, but it seems easy to get lost in the wealth of information available

Just looking for helping guidelines

Thanks a bunch metalwarrior
Quote by NewBornProdigy
Well breifly, I have a slight idea how to go about it, but it seems easy to get lost in the wealth of information available

Just looking for helping guidelines

Thanks a bunch metalwarrior

Believe me, there may be a lot of it, but you want to take in as much as possible. I ran into problems right at the start of my first build and scrapped it - even went as far as putting all my brand new supplies/equipment/tools on eBay.

I did decide to give it a second go and so far, so good (see link in my signature)... and I was also lucky not to make a major loss on the eBay sales.

A few "helping guidelines" is not going to be enough if you want to do it right. I'd watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ZlpOOMp7Q There are about 11-12 parts covering the build and I guarantee it will give you a thirst for building. Observe what Ormsby does so you get an overall idea of what's involved and then read, read, read... It'll save you time and probably prevent you from making some silly (and expensive) mistakes.

Good luck
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Jun 28, 2010,
okay, someone suggested guitarfetish.com...most of their stuff is decent to good, but the hardware, namely the tuners, should be avoided. use www.allparts.com for hardware if you can; some UGer's can even get you a discount if you order through them.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking