Seriously, for a lot of people at least (definitely me), the most moving songs are the saddest ones. I wonder why that is...
because you're sad/dark/depressed
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Depends on what you call sad. Depends on the genre.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
Because sadness is the only true emotion that can be properly infused into music.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Because sadness is the only true emotion that can be properly infused into music.

No, some music makes me very, very happy.

Shiny happy people by R.E.M for instance
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Dude, I just love feeling down.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Something sad or depressing has a lot more passion to it I guess. And lets face it, the world is filled with sad/dark/depressing things.
Quote by Gammas1

For me, it's Rush.
When i listen to Rush, i instantaneously feel happy. And horny.

That said, i love depressing music. Katatonia, Gallhammer, BeforeTheRain, some Porcupine Tree, Blackfield and Opeth stuff...

I guess it appeals to me on some deep level, somehow i can relate to it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Why do we like happy songs?

Feeling "happy" is only an emotion, and it doesn't really equate to "good."
as stated in an mf doom song: "people love to hate"

this statement is worth the double posting
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
Most people seem to turn to music at their darkest hour and find strength in it, without dark music to empathise with there wouldn't be the songs to reciprocate your mood.
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Quote by KirkMetallica

Quote by Gammas1

This. Also Walking On Sunshine. You can't listen to that and not be happy as hell.

Though, it's probably cause alot of people are depressed, and can relate to the sad, depressing stuff. I dunno.
Well, I enjoy it. Can't say why, I don't necessarily relate to it, but I like melancholy music.

To those saying happiness cannot be put into music well, listen to The Trout Quintet by Schubert, that is simply joy defined in music.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by robhc
This. Also Walking On Sunshine. You can't listen to that and not be happy as hell.

Agreed
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Because feelings of pain, sadness, and loss are universally relatable and people love to relate to things. Also, there's a mellow atmosphere in moody, depressing music that usually isn't there in happier music. Some people find that energy and that atmosphere very relaxing and prefer it over that of happier stuff.
cause everyone feels sorry for themselves.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Because everyone feels sad sometimes and it's good to feel like you're not alone.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
for me its because i am an exteremely happy person all the time. i have 3 jobs and they all require that i basically nevr stop smiling even if i feel crappy. lol i hate feeling sad and depressed or angry its just not me. id rather smile and laugh. so music is like my secret outlet. when i feel depressed i bury myself in sad music. it seems to fuel the fire. but sometimes u can feel utterly alone and sad and when u here ppl singing about there circumstances its like the music becomes ur friend, or ur confidine. when know one else knows im sad my music, my guitar, does. is an outlet....

that prob makes no sense to 99% of u
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
There's a difference between appealing and emotional. You're TT and OP are unrelated.
hello
Define Catharsis:
"A release of emotional tension, as after an overwhelming experience, that restores or refreshes the spirit"

That's how it feels to me anyway, although the songs are very emotional and cause me to feel that way, I feel better after listening to it.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Music is an incredible medium for conveying emotions. Sadness is a very powerful emotion, just like anger. Angry music is just as awesome when you're in an angry/aggressive mood as sad music when you're in a sad mood.

Basically, I find that music tends to amplify whatever mood you're already in when it's dominant emotional content matches your mood. Perhaps you're in a sad mood more often than others, or perhaps you're more prone to getting sad than anything else.

Then there's also the fact that great music often follows great emotional strain, which just happens to often be sadness.
Quote by KirkMetallica

listen to the spirit of radio by rush, it's happy! infact most rush is happy
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)