So what are UGers opinions on using over the head head headphones to listen to music in everyday life? Say, on a train journey or whatever, personally, i used to think that it made people look a little bit pretentious, and still do sometimes, although it depends on the rest of their image i guess. I thought this way quite strongly up until a short time ago, until i couldn't find any in-ear headphones, so i used some big ones, and it made the music sound so much better than usual, so now i use them a fair bit, the only drawback being that they are harder to store, so only use them if i am carrying a bag or something.

What i mean by over the head headphones in case anyone is confused-

WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
they are good but too large for me to wear around. If I'm traveling on a plane or what not they're the best
I let you get away so cleanly.
Obviously sound quality wise they are awesome compared to earphones, but you look like a twat wearing them.

There's also the fact that my head is small. I'll just stick to earphones for now.

Edit: ^^ that thread was only made today.
Last edited by Adam Scott at Jun 28, 2010,
I use these:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/display.aspx?infid=4571

Best sub-£500 earphones I've ever tried. Which certainly says something because I'm not a fan of their floorstanders or standmount speakers for music (surround sound is a different matter, Bowers and Wilkins are great for it, with the right sub). Very balanced, but more "on the ear" as opposed to over ear. Still have great passive noise isolation. They do have a sweet spot though that you might have to fiddle around to find the first few times putting on your head, but eventually you'll put them straight on perfect every time.

Very comfortable with the lamb's leather cushioning. I couldn't give a crap if someone thinks I'm douchey for using them in public- they aren't exactly over the top and I'm listening to my music at too awesome tonal quality to care.
Yeah...people that wear them for everyday life just come across as...douchey it seems. Not just because of the headphones, but the douchey ones tend to wear them. Planes and car rides though, they're heavenly.
It depends. Cuz I mean, I can't afford most of them. If they're cheap, well...fine. But I ain't spending like $150 on headphones. I do sacrifice sound quality I know, which bugs me, BUT...if I can't afford it, I ain't just whipping out the credit card for em.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
It depends. Cuz I mean, I can't afford most of them. If they're cheap, well...fine. But I ain't spending like $150 on headphones. I do sacrifice sound quality I know, which bugs me, BUT...if I can't afford it, I ain't just whipping out the credit card for em.

Luckily I have the benefit of getting hifi equipment at trade price.
Delirium told me that Bose are really, really good.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
This was made literally a couple of days ago...
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That was obviously my evil twin. I told 3 customers today that they're Bose system was shit and sold a B+W MT-30 package to one of them

I really wanted to see what I kind of reaction I could get out of you. I figured Skullcandy would be waaaaaay too obvious, so I went with the next best thing.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by paintITblack39

I like them for recording or long trips. The people gawking because someone is wearing them is annoying tho.

Also, I see many a pic of Paul Gilbert wearing them so they can't be too bad right?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by Metalology

I really wanted to see what I kind of reaction I could get out of you. I figured Skullcandy would be waaaaaay too obvious, so I went with the next best thing.

You received a grammatically incorrect reaction it seems

Anyways, I really dont see what's dpuchey about using over/on-ears in public. I prefer it if my music isn't just background noise, so I use a damn good pair of headphones. They just happen to be on-ear. It's pretty sad when people are "ok" with ipod earphones or some gimmicky Skull Candy rubbish. It's also a sad state of affairs when people look at separates as archaic things.
Question. And please don't flame me.

What is so wrong with Skullcandy? I've never tried the Bowers- Wilkins brand you speak of, so maybe if I tried those I'd see the light.

Also, my right ear refuses to hold earphones so over ear works better for me.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Sorry, i didn't see the thread about, and i forgot to search, do with this thread what you may.

And Delerium, i assume you are quite the advocate of this Bowers-Wilkins company, right?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Next Hendrix
Question. And please don't flame me.

What is so wrong with Skullcandy? I've never tried the Bowers- Wilkins brand you speak of, so maybe if I tried those I'd see the light.

Also, my right ear refuses to hold earphones so over ear works better for me.

Skull Candy is lifestyle, not hifi. Bowers and Wilkins are one of the most revered speaker manufacturers in the world since 1966. They designed the world famous Zeppelin iPod dock and the Nautilus, a £25k floorstanding speaker, from which most of their speakers are backward engineered from.

Quote by donender
Sorry, i didn't see the thread about, and i forgot to search, do with this thread what you may.

And Delerium, i assume you are quite the advocate of this Bowers-Wilkins company, right?

I'm normally not a B+W fan for music, so I was suprised by the P5 headphones. For home cinema sound B+W are awesome, but I do prefer Roksan speakers for music. Kef speakers (who are basically Celestion) I find far too bright for anything.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You received a grammatically incorrect reaction it seems

Anyways, I really dont see what's dpuchey about using over/on-ears in public. I prefer it if my music isn't just background noise, so I use a damn good pair of headphones. They just happen to be on-ear. It's pretty sad when people are "ok" with ipod earphones or some gimmicky Skull Candy rubbish. It's also a sad state of affairs when people look at separates as archaic things.

I only wear on-ear. I used some in ears for a bit but I'm just not a big fan of them.

Give me a reccomendation:

- I like on-ear
- I want more noise blockage (I just have some Koss PortaPros right now that block nothing out)
- My primary listening is rock music (Tool, Coheed and Cambria, Soundgarden etc.)
- $150 and under (I'll be looking on eBay too) but if there's a really good set for a bit more, let me know.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by paintITblack39

Quote by Metalology
I only wear on-ear. I used some in ears for a bit but I'm just not a big fan of them.

Give me a reccomendation:

- I like on-ear
- I want more noise blockage (I just have some Koss PortaPros right now that block nothing out)
- My primary listening is rock music (Tool, Coheed and Cambria, Soundgarden etc.)
- $150 and under (I'll be looking on eBay too) but if there's a really good set for a bit more, let me know.

If it wasn't for the noise isolation bit, I would have suggested SR125i headphones if you could find them at the $150 mark. I normally find open backed headphones much better for the music you (and I) listen to at that price range.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If it wasn't for the noise isolation bit, I would have suggested SR125i headphones if you could find them at the $150 mark. I normally find open backed headphones much better for the music you (and I) listen to at that price range.

Alright, noise isolation isn't a make-or-break more of a want, haha. I've been looking at Grado for a while so I'll keep my eye out.

Thanks.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by paintITblack39