I'm looking for versatility here. I know It's only possible in a distant dream but what is the closest guitar that achieves fender like cleans with jackson/esp/gibson/ibanez type crunch?
Barf

Fender 70's reissue strat
Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
Anything with a single coil pickup and EMG pickup?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Probably an HSS Strat with some kind of DiMarzio in the bridge, or even a normally-routed one with a single-sized humbucker in the bridge.

Or any kind of guitar routed for HSS really, I just said Strat because you said Fender. As long as it fits it works.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Jun 28, 2010,
Try the Music Man Luke. HSS Emg pickups. It's pretty expensive though.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
A tube amp with amazing cleans, like a ValveKing (I'm sure there are far better amps, but I'm not really familiar with high end tube amps), and then a guitar with an EMG 81TW/89, or maybe an 81/60.

I played a Schecter Hellraiser (81TW/89) through a ValveKing a few times, and it pretty much does what you described.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The GMW I just got does a good job of that. The EMG SAX pickups are very good for clean, and the 85X does serious distortion well. Of course then your need an amp that does both high gain and blackface cleans. The CAE/CAA stuff is the best I've ever heard at nailing both in the same box.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jun 28, 2010,
HSS superstrat (not necessarily fender), and as even bigger d says, an amp which'll also do both (i haven't tried the cae, it's meant to be great for that, though).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You're probably going to need a high end tube amp that can really give out those tones. The ENGL Powerball amp head gives the best Fender cleans and hard rock/metal crunch in a single amplifier (in my opinion). Of course, it goes for about $1500-$2000 new, so it's probably out of most people's price range. I don't know many other high-quality amplifiers that are that versatile for less money. You could try a Fender combo tube amp like the Hot Rod Deluxe, and then play with different pedals to achieve the type of crunch or distortion you're looking for. That's what I do, and it's the next-best thing for versatility on a budget.

As for guitars, I have seen certain HSS Suhr and Fender guitars do very well with accomplishing the style of versatility you're looking for. PRS also does HSS configurations on some of their guitars, and they are usually ridiculously versatile.
Ibanez RG470AH
Ash body for more tonal range, hsh set up and wizard II neck profile. but the guitar is only part of it, the amp you choose is gonna affect you sound more then anything.
a jackson dk2 will have that diversity, or any schecter with good passive pickups, because most of them let u coil split, cuz schecter is just that awesome
Eh.
You want EMG pickups, even though they are tinny - you get a pretty crunchy sharp sound off of them, HOWEVER active pickups don't reflect the tone of the guitar very well so this is a cheap fix although effective. Or you could try DiMarzio D-Activators, they're quite nice - and passive. The setup you want would be H-S-S, for the versitility and bright single coil sound.
For the guitar you want a maple neck, with an ash body, neck - thru construction will brighten the tone even more.

EDIT: as for brands, try Ibanez. They use Dimarzio pickups, and H-S-H, annnd I'm pretty sure there's one or two H-S-S setup guitars.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by JP Oliver
You're probably going to need a high end tube amp that can really give out those tones. The ENGL Powerball amp head gives the best Fender cleans and hard rock/metal crunch in a single amplifier (in my opinion). Of course, it goes for about $1500-$2000 new, so it's probably out of most people's price range. I don't know many other high-quality amplifiers that are that versatile for less money. You could try a Fender combo tube amp like the Hot Rod Deluxe, and then play with different pedals to achieve the type of crunch or distortion you're looking for. That's what I do, and it's the next-best thing for versatility on a budget.

As for guitars, I have seen certain HSS Suhr and Fender guitars do very well with accomplishing the style of versatility you're looking for. PRS also does HSS configurations on some of their guitars, and they are usually ridiculously versatile.

this guys message.

first off, the amp is what does what you want. not the guitar, it plays a much smaller roll.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A Dave Murray Signature Fender Strat?? Single Coils + Dimarzios (Y)
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win