Hello everyone,

I use an Ibanez XPT707FX (7-string guitar), and have finally encountered an issue. The high e string's nut slot has been filed down to a level where I cannot use that string without getting buzzing or a loss of sustain. The problem is most obvious when playing on the 7th fret, when it sounds more like i'm trying to attempt a natural harmonic then hitting the note.

I have a show coming up in 3 days, and the place where I ordered the replacement nut still hasn't obtained it, so I am looking for options for a temp fix so I can still do the show. I have another guitar to use, but the Xiphos would make it easier on tuning changes, and I love to play it more than the RG1527 I use as well.

I live in a very small down so I can't get help from a tech, and the internet suggests cardboard on the neck side of the nut to suspend all strings. Does anyone here have alternate ideas?

Thank you
This may sound stupid but are you sure your pickups aren't too high. This happened to me and the pickups were just a tad to high and caused buzzing and no sustain.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
This may sound stupid but are you sure your pickups aren't too high. This happened to me and the pickups were just a tad to high and caused buzzing and no sustain.

Observing the high e string on a horizontal manner, it resides a lot lower than the other strings (about 2-3mm), pickups are at a good distance, the bridge is at the right height for the 6 other strings, and when playing on the 7th fret the reason why it sounds so terrible is because the string is touching the 8th fret just enough, the other strings lose sustain and all that jazz.
if it is the nut, you might be able to shim it by removing the nut and making a shim to go under the nut out of thin card or photo paper , but i`d check all the usual setup parameters first.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jun 28, 2010,
heres a recommendation that should work: try taking a toothpick or a pencil point and filing/cutting it down to size so that it fits snugly in your nut slot. maybe use some glue to hold it there. then restring and see if that could work as a temporary replacement until your new nut gets in.
peace, bucketslasher
Quote by ibanezgod1973
if it is the nut, you might be able to shim it by removing the nut and making a shim to go under the nut out of thin card or photo paper , but i`d check all the usual setup parameters first.

Shim it? Sorry I am still learning tech lingo :P. Are you suggesting that I begin to remove the nut at the high e just enough so that I can place sheetpaper under it to heighten it? pretty intuitive idea I think, if I am mistaken please clarify
shim is basically a small thin material that 'lifts' the shimmed area.
you'd just use a piece of paper..very thin at first under the nut itself in that area and keep thickening until the buzz goes away.
good temp fix, also superglue works if you know what your doing. ideally, a replacement *read: GRAPHTECH!* nut is the best option.