I am wondering what a relatively cheap microphone for acoustic guitar and singing. Preferably one that could be interchangeable for singing and playing.

I have heard that the sm57 and sm59 are very good but since they aren't condenser mics would they be good for voice?

or would i be better off with a condenser mic and using that to record my guitar as well.

looking to hopefully spend around $100

i currently have an old peavey PVi http://aa.peavey.com/mics/pvi.cfm that is only worth about $30. if that make a difference on which mic i should buy if i do decide to record two mics at once
go with an SM58. works for both quite well for both from my personal experience.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166
hundred bucks and will sound better on the acoustic than a dynamic. neither is a spectacular mic, but they sound good when mixed on acoustics. the 990 works for vocals, and i would typically rather use that than a sm57. for an acoustic and voice style, i would hands down prefer the 990 on vox.

now of course using 2 mics requires an interface with 2 inputs, but hey, why not.

if you want to stick with a single mic:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Large-Diaphragm-Condenser-Microphone?sku=270620

condensors not only typically sound better on vocals (unless screaming/growling/whatever), but also would be preferred for an acoustic guitar.
I like the AT2020 but I still think the MXL 990 and 991 condensers really shine on acoustic.......may not be the BEST on vocals however I seem to like the way they sound...

I have heard that the sm57 and sm59 are very good but since they aren't condenser mics would they be good for voice?

Dynamics are good for loud singers, condenser are good for more average vocals.
They both have the pros and cons but generally condensers have a brighter sound than dynamics.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 29, 2010,
Is there any way besides a stand to hold condenser mics?

My dorm room is very small and i was wondering if a shock mount would be able to stand on its own. most look like the mics drops to far into them so a shock mount wouldn't stand the mic up either...
Quote by taylort36
Is there any way besides a stand to hold condenser mics?

My dorm room is very small and i was wondering if a shock mount would be able to stand on its own. most look like the mics drops to far into them so a shock mount wouldn't stand the mic up either...

Nah, just get a foldable stand
only stands of which are built for mics are mic stands....they are cheap and fold down small so it should not be a huge issue.

The shock mounts usually screw onto the end of boom of the mic stand, they can't be used on their own....unless you plan on micing the floor... LOL

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/On-Stage-Stands-Tripod-Mic-Stand-with-Boom?sku=452061

Usually I find the ones with the adjustable booms with a cheap mic and cable...ill keep the stand and cable but ditch the crappy useless mic. I usually see them on sale for around $20 but have not seen any sales lately...
Haven't tried the AT but I love the MXL 990/91. 990 sounds really nice and warm on guitar and vocals . 991 is alot brighter.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
the best mic stand is a mic stand. of course ive done many other things over the years, not all of them worked out. easy one is to tape the mic to the side of a guitar stand. works pretty well, especially for pencil mics or dynamic mics, not so much large diaphragm codensors.

cardboard boxes (cereal, pasta, ect.) work pretty well. hole in the top that is large enough for the cable but not large enough for the mic to fall through, then a hole in the side for the cable to run out. used to do this with a mxl 990 all the time. the box i had was a perfect height to capture an acoustic when sitting at my desk.

these days, i just use mic stands. much, much easier to use, more stable, and arent that expensive.