What software would you need to record tracks simultaneously?

I plan on micing a drum set so its very needed.

Also I heard Garageband can't record more than 1 track at a time. I'm renting a SoundCraft mixer, and I have an Edirol UA-25EX preamp.

Any help would be appreciated!
I think the guy above me was a little confused about your situation. Garageband can record a track, then record another one and have them play simultaneously in a layered fashion, but it can't record two separate tracks at exactly the same time.

You could just get a mixer that lets you plug multiple mics/instruments into it, and then plug that mixer's single output into your computer. Then you'll only need to have one track recording at any time in your software.
I'm slightly confused. When I have a direct line in to my computer, garageband will still only see my (lets say) 3 mic inputs as one track, this kind of defeats the purpose of mixing digitally?
Quote by Snewkie
I'm slightly confused. When I have a direct line in to my computer, garageband will still only see my (lets say) 3 mic inputs as one track, this kind of defeats the purpose of mixing digitally?

yeah, that is the concept.. but that's what you have the mixing board for ... you can use that for eQ, panning, gates, use effect pedals, etc

get a good sound using the mixing board.. then itll all come out as one track.
ok thanks!

Can anyone help me: on the mixing board there are little knobs labeled HF, MF, and LF. I'm guessing these mean treble, middle, and bass but i'm not completely sure. I'm a newbie with mixing with a board. Also, what does gate do?
High frequencies, middle frequencies, low frequencies
treble, middle, and bass

you use gates to sort of cancel out sound when it hits a certain volume

imagine recording your drumset... now say you were to just play back the snare track.. you'd hear the snare drum and in the background you can hear the rest of the drums.. youd use a gate so youd just hear the snare, no background noise..
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Jun 28, 2010,
Thank you so much !

I'm wondering, has anyone mixed in garageband here?
I've never used garageband, but I'm pretty sure my program is pretty similar... need some help with it or something?
Quote by Snewkie
Yes, I've very new with the mixing process!

leave me a msg in my inbox if you ever need some help.
There are two ways to go about doing this and im not sure which you want to do.

If you have say a full band and 10 mics that you want to record all at once to their own tracks on the computer, you need a large interface such as a PreSonus Firestudio Project.

If you only have a few mics and can deal with tracking each instrument one at a time, you can use a smaller audio interface like a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and set it to record two mics to two tracks. After that you pop on headphones and set the software to play back the first tracks while you record the next set and so on...

Mixers and preamps are not used for recording so I would not go with any of them.
Instead, rent or buy an audio interface. These allow you to record to a computer with ease and can give you many nice features. They usually have on board preamps and connect via USB or Firewire to the computer.

For software on the mac, I suggest buying a copy of Reaper:
http://reaper.fm/

The new 3 version is quite nice and I know a lot of people here who use it a lot every day in their studio.

Quote by Snewkie

One input is always going to record any amount of mics as one input. There is no way around this. This is why I suggested say the Firestudio Project audio interface as it will allow you to record 8 mics on their own tracks.
No there isn't a software fix to separate one input.

Also mixers like the one you were looking to use will always MIX down to a single stereo track meaning it won't help any either.

I don't think Pepsi really understood what the overall goal was here and so he may have given you some strange advice.

I suggest reading up on Tweak's Guide linked in the main pinned resource thread at the top of the forum.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 29, 2010,