Okay, so, I had my heart set on getting EMG 60/81 combo for my Ibanez RG series. However, after realizing how many mods it would take to accomidate the batteries and 3-way selector of an active pickup set? I gave up on them

So my question is this, What PASSIVE pickups sound like the EMG 60/81?
It really wouldn't be that hard to install man, it's been done before.
And no passive pickups sounds like EMG's. There's plenty of high gain pups, but nothing is going to have the same distinct sound as a Active EMG.
Go look through the pickup guide stickied in this forum, and post there if you have more questions.

Reported for close.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
You'd have to drill into the guitars body to create a compartment for the 9v. and then swap out the 5-way selector for a 3. And then wire the pickups. That's alot of downtime for an everyday player you know?
Not to mention, EMG's aren;t cheap pickups, and so, buying two, and then paying for the mods to be done? I can imagine it'd be costly
You dont need a compartment for the 9V. It can be put in the cavity, I've seen it done. All that's left is switching out a selector, and then wiring the pickups. If you wanted, I'm sure there's a way to wire the 5 way to work as a 3 way, you'll just have 2 positions that do nothing. That leaves re wiring a guitar, which imo every guitar player should learn how to do at sometime.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.