I've been having to put up with this wall ahead of me for months now...legato just doesn't come to me as easily as the other shredding techniques have to me; I think this is because of the more brainwork needed(sweeping is just a matter of synchronising, tremolo picking is just controlling my picking).

It became apparent from my tapping and legato-ing that my first finger just can't move as fast as it should be. When I modulate down when tapping it always gets stuck and gets left behind by my other fingers. Recently I've been practicing this lick(triplets):

E|16-14-12----------16-14-12----------
B|----------16-14-12----------16-14-12

My first finger just can't move to the 12th on the E to the 12 on the B fast enough which meant my other fingers were being held back. Now I first thought of pressing down the 12th on both the E and the B and that was fine for that part, but I realised that that part came after a really fast lick somewhere else which meant I couldn't fret them both fast enough. I also knew that if that went all the way down from the high E to the low E I'd never be able to fret all the strings in time. So basically, I'm just annoyed. It's been hindering my play for months now and it's really getting the better of me.

Basically, how am I actually supposed to do it?
The Metal Scale:
e----------------------000
B------------------000----
G--------------000--------
D----------000------------
A------000----------------
E--000--------------------
Well, first of all, "legato" is not a technique but a sound. You are discussing hammers and pulloffs. It's a common misconception, just a little fun fact for the day.

You don't have to have all 3 fingers set on each string. If your problem is moving the index finger fast enough from the e to the b string, then move it while you pull off from 16 to 14 on the b string. It's as simple as that. It takes some time to do this naturally, but once you get it down, you'll notice that your playing becomes far more fluid and natural.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Thanks I will try that. And I'm sorry about my lack of musical knowledge. Legato is sound, but I usually refer to it in the wrong sense.
The Metal Scale:
e----------------------000
B------------------000----
G--------------000--------
D----------000------------
A------000----------------
E--000--------------------
Quote by Comokanu
I think this is because of the more brainwork needed(sweeping is just a matter of synchronising, tremolo picking is just controlling my picking).

No, legato is just a matter of having string, fast and flexible fingers. It's not "brainwork".

The more you practice legato, the stronger and more flexible your fingers become. It's building up muscles, so you have to work at it by repetition.

Definetely have legato as part of your practice routine!
Your 1st finger should be moving towards the b string the minute the 4th finger plays the 16th fret. I would guess you're probably fretting too hard as well if your finger feels "stuck".