Hi, I don't know if you're familiar with it but there's an awesome Arts England Council scheme to encourage young'uns to learn an instrument. Basically, you go into a participating store (quite a few if not most stores in the UK do it) and find an instrument you like. Doesn't have to be a guitar, could be anything. You ask to buy it on the Take it Away deal. They then sort out stuff, credit checks and what not. You then put a 10% deposit down on the instrument. TheArts England Council fund the rest up front. You take the instrument home that day. You then pay by means of direct debit 10% for the next 9 months. It's awesome. I'm gunna get myself a Gibson Les Paul Standard soon using it. Here's a link. http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/takeitaway/
You can burrow anything up to £2000 on one instrument or multiple.

Now, my reasoning for this thread is to enlighten you Brits about it so you can get your dream guitar AND to ask if anyone has used it and how it was? Can you use it for stuff like pickups?
Last edited by leg end at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by SG_dave
That sounds awesome. But i bet it's limited to starter packs.

read again?

sounds good, but..its only in england? PAAAH
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
Quote by SG_dave
That sounds awesome. But i bet it's limited to starter packs.

Nope. Anything up to £2000

Still have to pay for the instrument.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Right so the costs are...

10% deposit with the rest paid by the arts council...

then I pay 10% of the cost per month for 9 months until the guitar is paid off?

BRING ON MAH PRS

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Kilobyte

Still have to pay for the instrument.

Over the course of 10 months. Makes it much easier to afford. And you don't have to wait. Despite that being part of the fun, saving up and waiting to get it.
I used it to buy my Epiphone Les Paul Custom and a Boss EQ pedal for around £570 (I forget the exact amount).

Very quick to get sorted out, and the shop I did it from, if you wanted to buy something that they deemed SHOULD fall under the scheme (such as pedals, or an amp for example), but officially didn't, they'd list it as something that did and let you utilise the scheme (or such was the impression they gave me......).

I was only 18 at the time, and had only been employed for 2 months, so I don't think the credit check is very in-depth either.
Quote by TheBurningFish
"OH GOD OH GOD MUM MUM I PISSED MILK OH MY GOD OH MY GOD "

Something like that. All the while, his pants are still about his ankles and his semi erect sausage drips on the carpet as he runs around like a headless chicken...
i'm very curious, i havent heard anything about this before... i need to get a better amp... what stores are participating in this?
Quote by voodoochild23
i'm very curious, i havent heard anything about this before... i need to get a better amp... what stores are participating in this?

You'll have to ask in the store that you're buying the amp from. Chances are, if it's a largish store, they should do it.

Oh yeah, you can use it as many times as you like.
Most of the big chains in the UK, such as Dawsons will operate the scheme. The only concern is the APR. I can't really see how the Arts Council can run this scheme without charging some interest on the instrument.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by leg end
Over the course of 10 months. Makes it much easier to afford. And you don't have to wait. Despite that being part of the fun, saving up and waiting to get it.

Sound plan
You could also brake it during the ten months
My monthly income is ... £160.

10 months of 160 could pay for something up to £1,600.

Where sells Suhrs?
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Most of the big chains in the UK, such as Dawsons will operate the scheme. The only concern is the APR. I can't really see how the Arts Council can run this scheme without charging some interest on the instrument.

That's the point - there's no interest, as the Arts Council isn't out to make a profit, it's trying to promote music. So unless they've changed it recently, it's 0% APR for the length of the loan.
Quote by TheBurningFish
"OH GOD OH GOD MUM MUM I PISSED MILK OH MY GOD OH MY GOD "

Something like that. All the while, his pants are still about his ankles and his semi erect sausage drips on the carpet as he runs around like a headless chicken...
I did the Take it away thing when I bought my Vox AC15. Really good idea.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by szekelymihai
Sound plan
You could also brake it during the ten months

But if you buy a higher end guitar like I'm planning, I'm hoping to get a Gibson Les Paul Standard as soon as I get a job, it should (if not, haggle) come with a hardcase. Just keep it in the case when you're not using it and when you are just be bloody careful!
Quote by leg end
But if you buy a higher end guitar like I'm planning, I'm hoping to get a Gibson Les Paul Standard as soon as I get a job, it should (if not, haggle) come with a hardcase. Just keep it in the case when you're not using it and when you are just be bloody careful!

+1

I've emailed World Guitars in Gloustershire to see if they support the scheme (hope so, i've got my eye on the PRS SC245 for £1899

If not a Gibson Les Paul Standard from Dawsons will do!

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
+1

I've emailed World Guitars in Gloustershire to see if they support the scheme (hope so, i've got my eye on the PRS SC245 for £1899

If not a Gibson Les Paul Standard from Dawsons will do!

I would love to do this, but paying £189.90 a month is too much for me to handle.
Quote by boreamor
I would love to do this, but paying £189.90 a month is too much for me to handle.

I'm in steady employment so it shouldn't be too bad, just have to resist the urge to buy an iPhone 4.. That'll be a challenge! aha

Also I noticed you're from Sandbach, it's pretty much my second hometown there so it's nice to meet someone there

E-Married to Funny_Page
Ah this is awesome you guys are actually gunna do it. I'm really glad I introduced you to it. Make sure you tell others. I just need a job now.

OH YEAH! You can also use it on the internet, as long as it's a participating store. Obviously, you have to wait for it to get delivered though. This means you can use it on second hand instruments (vintage etc.) if they're from a shop
Last edited by leg end at Jun 28, 2010,
...Isn't this basically a monthly-payment deal? That's how I bought my last two guitars. Except most stores would tack on a little interest for buying on "credit." I guess that wouldn't apply here since it's basically the government's credit.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 29, 2010,
Pardon the bump but I emailed Jeff Pumfrett at World Guitars and he replied;

Hi Chris,
We are not in the scheme, they only have a few places each year, missed out this year but maybe next year.
Regards,
Jeff

Lovely chap!

E-Married to Funny_Page
use it for most of my stuff,

its good but you cant cancel the credit if you sign in store and your then tied to the deal unless you pay off in full at the time so it has its draw back...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I better start searching for a job, this is actually motivating.

And I have a day off school tomorrow with nothing to do - perfect timing!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I need a job and a decent income. Then a Cornford MK will be mine!
Although I don't know if I could handle more debt...
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
I need a job and a decent income. Then a Cornford MK will be mine!
Although I don't know if I could handle more debt...
There is one way to live, and that's in debt.