Hey UG,

I have a question, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to effects and amps and whatknot, but here goes. I have the Spider Valve tube amp and I wanted to buy some pedals for it. When connecting a pedal, what setting do you put on the amp? Like, If I were to buy an overdrive pedal, would I put my amp on the clean chanell and activate the overdrive pedal from there? Also, Do I just plug in the pedal to the front of the amp as I would my guitar, and then guitar into the pedal?

Really what I'm trying to ask is, do I just use the EQ I already have on my amp and then connect any pedal to it? The Valve amp has that whole "spider channel" system setup, so would I go to the clean channel or just stay in the metal setting?

Hope that's clear enough...

Thanks!
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Depends what you want to do with the OD pedal.

If you want to simulate a tube amp going into breakup, then yes, you would put it on the clean channel.

If you want to use it to tighten your distortion, then you could put it on top of one of your metal channels, or even use it as a gain boost for solos on a mid-gain amp model.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Try it with all settings, and try and find what works best with the sound looking for. Using it with any specific channel will not hurt the amp, and using the pedal with a different channel will simply have a different tone.

What kind of tone are you using it for?

EDIT: And look at this: http://www.ehow.com/how_4910135_connect-guitar-pedal.html
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Jun 28, 2010,
Thanks Raijouta, I didn't know I could just plug right in to a channel.
@Bing, I'm just trying to get a good loud unmuddy distorted kind of tone, I can envision it in my head and I want to make it come out!

Also, another question.

My amp has a "preamp out and power amp" connection on the back, and I have no idea what these are for.. could someone explain what those are? Is it something to do with effects looping?
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!