Hey guys what tube combo amp do you think is the best for under $600? I play in a band but we don't really do much but on the days we do, I need to be loud and powerful. We play from classic rock to thrash metal so I need an amp with nice cleans and versatile distortion/overdrive. Thanks.
Vypyr Tube 60
Peavey XXX
Peavey Ultra
Marshall JCM 900
Peavey 5150/6505
Heavily modded Valveking
Peavey Classic 30 or 50
Peavey Rockmaster, VTM, Butcher
Crate V series with Soldano mods
Crate Vintage Club series, maybe with an OD pedal?

Mesa/Boogie Mark III
Mesa DC series
Mesa F series
Mesa Rectoverb, Tremoverb, Single/Dual Rectifiers (might have to save up a little)

Jet City Amps JCA100 (again, save up more)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I would get Mesa Rectifier combo or a peavey 6505 combo but that is me. You might also want to look at the new Randall tube combo's.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Bugera 333xl. its 650 but guitar center and musicians friend sometimes have that 50 dollars off anything over 300 dollars so blam! 600 bucks
Peavey Valveking. As for the Vypyr 60, isn't that one a hybrid with like one tube in the power amp?
Half of these arent under 600? unless you mean used too?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by Ascendant
Peavey Valveking. As for the Vypyr 60, isn't that one a hybrid with like one tube in the power amp?

Vypyr Tube 60 has two power tubes and one preamp tube for the phase inverter.

The Valveking will not do what the OP wants (and sound good) without alot of modding.

EDIT: And yes, we mean used. Some of the amps mentioned are discontinued and cannot be purchased new.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I wouldn't suggest getting a valveking or a vypyr, both are mediocre at best(and thats me being nice )

You can get a 6505+ Combo for $600brand new from guitar center. Pretty good deal if you ask me, worlds better than the vk or vypyr

EDIT:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105612089-i1445921.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=475543819

this is seriously one of the best deal you will find hands down, ESPECIALLY if your playing metal. i'm considering saving up for one myself
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by Ascendant

Yes it is a hybrid, but it has two power tubes (and a single preamp tube for the phase inverter), not just one. Still doesn't change the fact that it sounds amazing.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it.

TS, if you go the Vypyr Tube route, it would be prudent to stretch your budget by another 50 so you can get the Sanpera 2 footswitch to make the most of the amp.

Edit 2: Failing that, take a used Bugera 6262 into consideration.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jun 28, 2010,
+1 to the Peavey Triple XXX/Ultra, however I am biased

3 channels, good cleans, crunch and ultra channels can do anything from classic rock to metal, ultra channel gets teh br00tz (more so with a boost). Very versatile OD/distortion. I just got my Triple XXX combo for $500 used, halfstack would be a bit more but I've seen Ultra halfstacks go for $500-600.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I have a Peavey Classic and its great. Great cleans, a touch of OD gives a nice classic rock sound and it can be boosted into metal.
I wouldn't suggest a classic for metal, won't be gainy enough. If anything you would probably need more than one overdrive for it.

Seriously look at the 5150's and 6505's, they are all tube and are practically made for metal.
They only make the combos in a pretty durable 2x12 and they look pretty good if you ask me, and liek I said $600 brand new

TS, you did say you wanted cleans, right? Then I'd rule out the 6505 right now- its cleans are pretty lackluster (even though it has made-for-metal gain).

That being said, the Bugera 6262 I mentioned in my earlier post is worth a look (FYI, it and the 6260 are clones of the 5150/6505 family but with much better cleans).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

I thought they were JCM900 clones? Also keep in mind that the 6505 is 60 watts, and the 6262 is 120.(maybe they have a lower watt version??)

also just out of curiosity what is the difference between the burgera 6262 and the 1990? They're both 120 watts and both use 6l6's, and the price is pretty similar.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
I thought they were JCM900 clones? Also keep in mind that the 6505 is 60 watts, and the 6262 is 120.(maybe they have a lower watt version??)

also just out of curiosity what is the difference between the burgera 6262 and the 1990? They're both 120 watts and both use 6l6's, and the price is pretty similar.

do you want new? or a better amp used?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by handbanana

One is a raw, takes-no-prisoners metal machine based on the go-to metal amp, the other has more of a hard rock thing going on.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!