Been playing bass for almost a year and I have a 4 string, and I'm looking into getting a 5-string...

My price I'm looking around is <$400 (less than $400)

Any recommendations?
To be honest, not really, I don't think the Ibanez GSR205 is a good option, because its active bass, which I'm not too familiar with
Quote by Trent Armitage
To be honest, not really, I don't think the Ibanez GSR205 is a good option, because its active bass, which I'm not too familiar with

It is a good bass, but keep in mind the "active" part is a 1 band eq (bass boost), not active pickups, or a full 2 band or 3 band eq.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
So essentially, its more of an extra feature that'll drain a 9 volt battery lets say, I don't have to have it on to use it...correct?
90% or more of all basses have passive pickups. The only active part is usually a build in preamp/eq. Unless it has an active/passive switch or push pull knob you will need a battery for a signal to come out of your bass. 9v batteries last for a loooong time. Just remember to not leave an instrument cable attached to your bass so the battery doesn't drain as fast.

If you can't afford a new 9volt or 2 every year you probably shouldn't be playing bass.
Bass is my life.
Why hate it because you're unfamiliar with it?

There's nothing really to be unfamiliar with, as people have said, it's just having a battery in it to expand the range of the EQ. That's it. Doesn't really take any getting used to.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5 string. - retails for 350 I think.
There's really nothing to worry about switching from passive-active, if you can set your EQ on your amp then you can use a pre-amp.
If you're on the cheap side with batteries, do like me - buy rechargeable 9v batteries. I charge them up every month or so, just in case.
I just bought an Ibanez GSR205 today!

I think it's a great bass, with a great sound, seeing as it's also cheap.
oh, and I've also been palying for about a year
I'd say go for a Traben bass. they make some great sounding instruments for not too much.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by Trent Armitage
Ok, I'm thinking either between a Yamaha RBX375 or an Ibanez SR305

I walked into the music store fully expecting to walk out with a RBX375. While I was there I had a look around and played a few comparable basses and ended up leaving the store with a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5 instead.

Haven't regretted my decision for a second.
Quote by Jaksar
I walked into the music store fully expecting to walk out with a RBX375. While I was there I had a look around and played a few comparable basses and ended up leaving the store with a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5 instead.

Haven't regretted my decision for a second.

I'm all about my Schecter Stiletto Elite-5. Love that thing. So versatile.
All your bass are belong to me <3