Hello there! Recently i have joined a band, we are writing some cool things, but i do need to get better at many things. Im struggling to play fluently in my solo'ing and need alot of help with it.

What i really need help with is building a good structure for intense praticing sessions. Were hoping to go into a studio in around 2 months and start gigging from then on too but i really need to get my playing down and acurrate.

Does anyone know any good guides to practicing effectively for long periods of time?

Many thanks!
Well first off what do you know? And what does your practice routine look like right now?
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
I mainly play metal and i can do alot of rythm for most popular songs from maiden and metallica, but when it comes to solos im not to good at them.

I havent really got a routine at the moment i just sort of practice what i want to practice but i need help creating one. I know many exercises if that helps
Make sure when you play you aren't stressing your muscles. you should be able to play without pain of any kind. I know it's cliche, but just start slow and speed up with a metronome. everyone says it because it truly is the best way.

another thing I see a lot of guitar players doing is lifting their fingers too far from the fretboard. when playing, your fingers should be as close to the strings as possible ready to fret a not at any time.

I know it isn't really a guide, but that should help a bit. I've gotten a lot better in the past year just from using those tips while I practice. I also joined a band and realized I needed to get better. Now I just need better gear. best of luck to you sir.
Quote by Ryansb123
I mainly play metal and i can do alot of rythm for most popular songs from maiden and metallica, but when it comes to solos im not to good at them.

I havent really got a routine at the moment i just sort of practice what i want to practice but i need help creating one. I know many exercises if that helps

What is it about solos that are giving you a hard time. Specifics please.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
The main advice im looking for is how to get very good in a short space of time but i guess its all down to the individual. Cheers for the tips
The best way to get good in a short amount of time is to...

1. Pay attention to the small details when you practice
2. Concentrate on feeling relaxed as you play - don't concentrate on speed
3. Focus on areas you are weak in.

That oughta help.
Quote by Ryansb123
The main advice im looking for is how to get very good in a short space of time but i guess its all down to the individual. Cheers for the tips

<MECHANIC VOICE>

hmmm now theres your problem

</MECHANIC VOICE>

probably a better idea to focus on becoming fluent at playing slowly and accurately, as dumb as that sounds...oh and probably triple the amount of time you play daily
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
steve vai's 10 hour guitar work out. it's pretty intense, its basically like exercising your fingers... so if you want more of a musically sounding approach then steer away from this.