Yooo,

I've been thinking of getting an Fender jazz bass (4 strings).
I've read the MIA is the best, MIJ second and MIM.

So my question is: is a MIM Deluxe jazz better than a MIA/MIJ standard jazz?
Yeah I know just try it blablabla, but in your own opinion which one and why are you going to choose?

EDIT: What are the kind of stuff i need to watch when im getting a used jazz bass one?
Thanks guys!
Gear,
- LakLand 55-01 Quilted maple top
- Epiphone Korina Explorer bass
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
- Crafter acoustic guitar
Last edited by phoenix555 at Jul 2, 2010,
idk what MIJ stands for but an MIA standard would be superb to the MIM/MIJ deluxe

edit:
Quote by Guitar_Jester
American Standard > the rest

+1
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Quote by Guitar_Jester
American Standard > the rest

This is subjective.

Yes, the Mexicans are sub-par.

The Japanese models though, are arguably just as good as the USA ones. Especially if you get your hands on a non-export model.

To the TS though, as someone who loves Fenders, I'd recommend if you have no preference with regards to American vs Japanese to just go with an American Standard; they're definitely your best bet for a well-rounded instrument.
When it comes to quality and quality control, MIA and MIJ are about even, maybe MIA gets the edge, but the MIJ instruments are right up there too. MIM's are perfectly fine, but many people find them overpriced, and the quality control can be hit and miss. The Squier Vintage Modified series however, is supposed to be on par with the MIM's.

To answer your MIM Jazz Deluxe vs. MIA/MIJ Jazz question, the MIA and MIJ basses will undoubtedly be better made, higher quality instruments. That's not to say the MIM is bad, it's just the MIA and MIJ are a tier above it. The MIM Jazz Deluxe however, has an active EQ, so if you'd rather have a 3 band eq/pan/volume at your fingertips, and a lower sticker price, then the MIM might be your cup of tea.

I'd pick an MIJ to be honest, they come up used for great prices, they sell for less then their MIA brethren, and the quality is just about the same as the MIA's.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks guys, I almost made my mind to go for the MIM, the mim and the MIJ are almost the same price though, the MIM got an Leo Quan BadAss II bridge on it(dunno if this makes a different)
Gear,
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
personally i think fender is just over rated. you can grab many different basses that are just as good, if not better then a MIA/MIJ (Hamer, Tobias and Music Man all come to mind) so why limit yourself on just a fender?
Quote by Alucard817
personally i think fender is just over rated. you can grab many different basses that are just as good, if not better then a MIA/MIJ (Hamer, Tobias and Music Man all come to mind) so why limit yourself on just a fender?

Well, I'm going to go ahead and presume that the TS is after a Fender, as seen as that's what he's asking about in the thread.
Geddy Lee Signature Jazz bass. its like jesus.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
Quote by phoenix555
Thanks guys, I almost made my mind to go for the MIM, the mim and the MIJ are almost the same price though, the MIM got an Leo Quan BadAss II bridge on it(dunno if this makes a different)

You can always add a new bridge later, the BadAss II's are getting harder and harder to find (at a good price), but Gotoh makes a fantastic Fender replacement bridge, and there are plenty of other aftermarket bridges you could add on with ease if the stock bridge on the MIJ doesn't do it for you.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Ok thanks guys!
Gear,
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
How much are they actually worth new/second hand? (MIJ standard, MIA standard)
Btw I live in the netherlands
Gear,
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
It depends on the individual bass. Some MIMs are going to play better than some MIAs.
^ It would have to be a lemon of an MIA and a gem of an MIM though, and regardless, the MIA's and MIJ's are more consistent when it comes to good quality.

Quote by phoenix555
How much are they actually worth new/second hand? (MIJ standard, MIA standard)
Btw I live in the netherlands

Here in the US (this is just for price comparison), MIM's average around $300 second hand, and MIA's are usually around the $800 mark, give or take. MIJ's are usually a fair bit less then MIA's, but the price varies depending on the model (and if its an export or non-export bass). Unfortunately I have no idea how it all translates to prices in the Netherlands, or what the availability is like there and how it affects the prices, but I hope this helped
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks Tostitos! it helped me alot!

Btw, I've seen a fair amount of P-bass for sale these are more cheaper and there are more on the market.
But are J better than P for me?
I play mostly metal and a little hard rock.
Gear,
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
Quote by phoenix555
Thanks Tostitos! it helped me alot!

Btw, I've seen a fair amount of P-bass for sale these are more cheaper and there are more on the market.
But are J better than P for me?
I play mostly metal and a little hard rock.

For that sort of stuff, you probably want a P-bass. It's going to be more suited to it.

Unless you fancy messing about swapping the pick-ups out, but I always preferred Fenders with the stock pups on.
Ok, What are the kind of stuff i need to watch when im getting a used one? (jazz)
Gear,
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
MIA: Best parts, good quality control.
MIJ: Ok parts, good quality control.
MIM: Ok parts, verging on shoddy quality control but that won't reach the buyer if the shop does set ups.

MIA Fenders are my holy grail, I WANT one. MIM Fenders are a bit pointless though as I can get a superior high-end Squier for half the price. MIJ covers a lot of middle ground so they can be as bad as MIMs or as good as MIAs.
hmm ok thanks
Gear,
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
an american standard jazz would be the best one. I have one myself it's great!