Poll: What Brand of Tubes do you use?
Poll Options
View poll results: What Brand of Tubes do you use?
Mesa
2 10%
Groove Tubes
2 10%
Sovtek
2 10%
JJ
9 45%
Other(Please specify)
5 25%
Voters: 20.
A variety. I use two Tung-Sol 6L6es in the power section, a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1, Mullard in V2 and a Penta in V3.

In my opinion, one should never use all of the same brand of tubes; it's just begging for sub-optimal sounds. Why do 'one size fits all' when you could use what matches best?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I don't use any of those.

I have a nice vintage Mullard ECC83 for V1 and Shuguangs for V2 and the phase inverter, SEDs for the power amp.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Funny how mesa and groove tubes are rebranded sovteks and JJs.
No tung-sol, EH, shuguang, svetlana, or TAD? They, along with sovtek and JJ, are pretty much the only new production tubes that are not rebranded.
I use JJs and NOS tubes, almost exclusively.
When I bought my Marshall TSL100, it had been retubed with Mesa valves. I don't know what was there originally. I haven't had to change one of them yet.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
nows not a good time. i may be completely retubing my vtm, or getting rid of it. If I do I think i'm probably going to go with JJ 6l6gc's in the power section, and Sovtek 12ax7lps' in the preamp.

My only other amp is a Marshall AVT50. It's hybrid and only uses one 12ax7. I put a Mesa 12ax7 in when I got it, and it definitely helped a lot. If I end up keeping it I might replace the Mesa with a Sovtek lps, atleast thats what my friend told I should me be using(dude is a huge tone nerd).

Also I play mostly Hardcore and Metal, but I also play emo, grunge, alternative, classic rock. Pretty much any of the bands in my profile.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 28, 2010,
rca blackplate for preamp tubes or jan phillips 12ax7s
rca blackplates for 6v6s
svetlana 6l6s
mullard xf2 el34s
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
how do you like the svetlanas? i've heard mixed things. on eurotubes they pretty much say everything but jjs are trash
That's because all they sell are JJ's. But JJs are great tubes. I prefer SED EL34s and 6L6s but their EL84 is great. I've got a pair in my Blues Jr. right now.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
oh I meant to say sylvania. stupid russian all their words look same.

these are pretty classy 6l6s.

Quote by handbanana
I've been told Groove Tubes suck. And JJ's seem to be very popular.

Groovetubes take valves from various manufacturers, test them, match them both electrically and sonically and then relabel them. The label denotes who the manufacturer is. ie S=Slovakia (JJ), C=Chinese (Shuguang) etc. Their site says which is which.
An S series Groovetube is the same as buying a JJ except it has been matched better. You've been told a load of bollocks. Is the extra cost for the better matching worth it? I dunno, I just buy JJ's (or Tungsols or NOS or ....... depends on what it is and what it's going into)

Quote by mmolteratx
I don't think I've seen anything that's a bigger joke than Eurotubes' 'reviews'. http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-h.htm

He could have reduced that to 5 words:
"Everything but JJ is crap"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 29, 2010,
don't dismiss groove tubes out of hand though. back before they were bought by fender they did make some sweet mullard reissues.