how does a metronome work exactly. Is each click supposed to be a note on your guitar? Or is one click like 1 whole note duration in different keys?
Each click can be a note, but usually it's not. The metronome simply lets you keep track of time and play the notes when they're supposed to be played.
depend on the time signature
if your playng in common time which is 4/4
each click would be a quarter beat and there would be four clicks in a measure
Dude, a metronome just keeps time. Each tick can be one note, or two notes, or three or four, or whatever. It all depends on the music. Each song has a speed, measured in beats per minute. You set the metronome to this speed.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by supersac
depend on the time signature
if your playng in common time which is 4/4
each click would be a quarter beat and there would be four clicks in a measure

Ok. So, what about a 16th note in 4/4 time? How about the half and whole notes? Don't confuse the clicks with notes. The metronome is simply a device for keeping time. That's it. In 4/4 time, or any time signature for that matter, during 4 clicks - which equals a measure, you could have any combination of notes - so long as they add up to the proper value.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Ok. So, what about a 16th note in 4/4 time? How about the half and whole notes? Don't confuse the clicks with notes. The metronome is simply a device for keeping time. That's it. In 4/4 time, or any time signature for that matter, during 4 clicks - which equals a measure, you could have any combination of notes - so long as they add up to the proper value.

so if I where to look up a song in tablature, i would have to know mentally what the beat of the song is. But if i look up the song on staff, I could see what the time on a measure is?
That is correct. That's the one shortfall of tabs - unless you have an idea of how the song sounds, it's quite difficult to play it the way the songwriter intended for it to be played. Tabs do not show time signature, nor do they tell you how long to hold a note. They also do not include rests and other clues, which are included in standard notation.
Lol sorry but this thread made me laugh so hard I almost died.

The metronome just keeps the tempo...I dont know how else to explain it.

Actually I guess I kinda have a good way of explaining it, I'll try to put it in beginner language. Like, you know when you tap your foot to the beat of a song when your listining to it? Thats what the ticks on a met represent. So try listening to whatever song your learning and just tap the beat and thats what the ticks are. Get it now?
Last edited by guitarocker100 at Jun 29, 2010,
yeah, I knew it kept temp, but I mean the technical parts of it. But KG6 already explained it for me so thanks.