Hey guys. I'm an intermediate guitar player, but I'm a noob when it comes to amps, and all the technical stuff. I currently own a Line 6 Spider III 30 watt amp, but (for obvious reasons) I can't use it with my band. Although I use my bassist's cab with his fender head at practice, I'd like to have my own equipment, so I can let him use his own completely. I just bought a used Ibanez S540, and I'd like to keep my budget for the entire set (cab and head, and whatever else I may need) less than or at most $600. Please help me get a new amp UG!
Ok, before anyone else blasts you: You don't need a stack, and even if you did need one, for $600 you wouldn't be able to afford anything even REMOTELY decent.

That being said, what genres of music do you play?
I'd agree with phlip999. If you want to get an amp head/cabinet type setup, go for a 2x12 cabinet. for 600 dollars i'm not too sure what you would be able to do though...

maybe save up some more money or just get a higher end combo amp.

Quote by phlip999

That being said, what genres of music do you play?
Well, we really play anything we come up with. But hard rock, pop rock, and experimental mostly. Not metal, or anything ridiculously heavy. I would compare us to Wolfmother or something like that.
used Marshall JCM2000 combo
Jet City JCA20C
Egnater Tweaker combo

Any of those should be good for you, though you may want to try before you buy.
For a good half stack, you are going to have to go used to find anything in your price range, and even then I think you are stretching it. Look for a good used Marshall. If you can find a used Bugera 1960 or 1990 head used in your area, that would be about the cheapest head you are likely to find and would free up a fair amount of your budget for a good cabinet. With a half-stack or a full stack the cabinet(s) must be as good as the head or the sound just won't be there.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
For a good half stack, you are going to have to go used to find anything in your price range, and even then I think you are stretching it. Look for a good used Marshall. If you can find a used Bugera 1960 or 1990 head used in your area, that would be about the cheapest head you are likely to find and would free up a fair amount of your budget for a good cabinet. With a half-stack or a full stack the cabinet(s) must be as good as the head or the sound just won't be there.

Yeah, I was thinking of looking for some used anyway. Of course I'll head over to GC to test some stuff out first though. I was mainly looking into Marshalls.

Now, I'm gonna pose another question here, since everyone says I'm stretching with my budget: What is the cheapest I can pay for a good quality stack? I'm not looking for the best there is $3000 stuff. Just good enough so that I can play with my band, hear myself, and have a nice sound. At least a nice clean sound, because I'm gonna be buying a distortion pedal too. I was looking into the Boss OS-2.
I dont know where you live.But if you were around Chicago Illinois you could come check out my Marshall AVT150H half stack. I would let you have the whole thing for $600. And you probably wont be needing any pedal.
Last edited by The Writ at Jun 28, 2010,
You really don't need a half stack, at all.
Half stack/full stack does not = more volume or anything like that if that's what you think.
More speakers also don't = more volume.

I'm not really sure why people get that into their heads. Must be a status thing.

You should look at some used tube combos, 30 watts is more than enough.

What type of distortion are you after?

Also, an amps natural distortion will always sound better than a pedal.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
IMO a quarter stack is better than a combo and a half/full stack. It's easier to make 2 trips, the head (most fragile part) is quite portable and the cab is pretty robust on it's own. A 75 lb combo is a bitch to carry around up and down stairs, watching the walls and careful not to drop and smash the tubes or something. Also, it allows you to mix and match gear with ease.

A decent used 212 cab should be about $250-$400. A good used head should run you about $600. That same $600 could buy you a lackluster amp brand new, most likely something mass-produced in Asia.

$1000 should get you a great simple amp setup. I'd skip Boss for OD's though, go for a Maxon or Ibanez TubeScreamer if you need it... they're expensive and depending what you play you might not need it. A fuzz might be more up your alley.
stay away from the avt's. they are not good compared to the other options available now.
again why a half stack?
get a 112 or 212 combo and be done with it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Tedward
IMO a quarter stack is better than a combo and a half/full stack. It's easier to make 2 trips, the head (most fragile part) is quite portable and the cab is pretty robust on it's own. A 75 lb combo is a bitch to carry around up and down stairs, watching the walls and careful not to drop and smash the tubes or something. Also, it allows you to mix and match gear with ease.

I agree with that.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
So I just need a cab and a head? Like I said before, I'm a noob when it comes to amps, so I thought a half stack was basically the same thing as just getting a cab and head.
a 1*12*8 is an awesome stack.
speaking of which where's my awesome stack picture....
missing oh well.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by grybo101
South, in West Palm Beach

Hey, me too!

Check out your local Guitar Center, the one near me has a B-52 AT-212 that should be good for what you want to play. It's a little over $200.
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/msg/1814310108.html

it's a peavey vk112 and it plenty loud and also get a ibanez ts808 for the effects loop and turn the gain down really low on the ts808 to tighten it up and then you will have one bitchen amp bro. Hope this helps.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Halfstack for $600? Practice and maybe small gigs? Unnecessary. Get a nice 60W tube combo, it will be much more than enough to suit your needs
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong