I saw Dweezil Zappa on the Zappa plays Zappa show last night at the House of Blues in Atlantic City, NJ. Wow. It blew me away. I've liked Frank and Dweezil for a while now but I didn't realize how great the show would be. There weren't that many people there and most everyone was within 5 rows of the stage.

The music was awesome and as expected everyone in the band had prolonged individual solos. They started the show with Stinkfoot and played a ton of classics and cuts off of Apostrophe...............I highly recommend trying to check it out, you won't regret it!

He is such a cool guy he was really personable and immediately after the encore sat on the stage and signed autographs for everyone. He signed tickets, cds, t-shirts, shoes, and a guy's prosthetic leg lol. No lie, this guy looked just like Sam Kinnison, he unscrewed his leg and put it on the stage, it was great.

He gave my sister a guitar pick out of his pocket which I must confess, I want to steal from her lol. But yeah, it was great.
I saw Zappa Plays Zappa at the Rothbury Music Festival back in '08. It was probably the best thing I saw there, which says a lot because there were some damn good bands there that year. Ray White showed up too, it was perfect.

This past Sunday, I ordered Dweezil's Return of the Son Of... and I'm really looking forward to hearing it. It's a double disc that they're selling at a single disc price - you gotta love that.

Here's an older ZPZ thread; it's not dead, it just smells funny.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1126870&highlight=zappa+plays
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Jun 29, 2010,
man, i want to go again very soon

does anyone know anything about dweezilla?
i love ZPZ! i've seen em twice and both times they were phenomenal, note for note on some of the most intense Zappa compositions...seriously they're hot!!

o and i saw ray white with them the first time as well, awesome surprise
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I saw him about a year ago at Progressive Nation.

He is awesome! He carried his daughter on stage and started dancing with her in his arms

And Dream Theater was also there and near the end they called in Steve Vai out of nowhere and then it was Zappa, Petrucci, and Vai together all three jamming and playing solos It was pretty awesome!
Quote by bobthebum16
I saw him about a year ago at Progressive Nation.

He is awesome! He carried his daughter on stage and started dancing with her in his arms

And Dream Theater was also there and near the end they called in Steve Vai out of nowhere and then it was Zappa, Petrucci, and Vai together all three jamming and playing solos It was pretty awesome!

Man, that sounds amazing.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
He uses/used the Ibanez JEM guitar series, and breifly endorsed Jackson guitars

More information: (too much to pick and choose, hope it includes the info you wanted)

Vai is an accomplished studio producer (he owns two: "The Mothership" [1] and "The Harmony Hut" [2]) and his own recordings combine his signature guitar prowess with novel compositions and considerable use of studio and recording effects, such as the Eventide H3000 ultra harmonizer and Digidesign's Pro Tools Hard Disc recording system and plug-in effects architecture.

Vai also helped design his signature Ibanez JEM series of guitars. They feature a hand grip (fondly referred to as a "monkey grip") cut into the top of the body of the guitar, a humbucker-single coil-humbucker DiMarzio pickup configuration with several different types of pickup including Evolution, Breed and EVO 2. He also uses Ibanez's Edge locking tremolo system, as well as an elaborate and extensive "Vine of Life" inlay down the neck. Steve also equips many of his guitars with an Ibanez Backstop, a tremolo stabilizer that has been discontinued. Steve also has a 7-string model designed by him named Ibanez Universe. The Universe later influenced the 7-string guitars used by Korn and other bands to create nu-metal sounds in the late 1990s. He also has a signature Ibanez acoustic, the Euphoria. Before he used Ibanez, he briefly endorsed Jackson guitars, but this relationship would only last for two years.

Zappa was irreverent towards all segments of society that he wanted to satirize. His exploration of the "groupie" phenomenon and the ridicule of the Suzie Creamcheeses might have been objectionable to some, but I found his music and stage performances of musical theater masterful. His musicianship was excellent. If you are easily offended, then had you been able to see him you might have been offended.