Hey UG,

Background info: I've been playing guitar for a touch more than 2 years. When I started, I took leassons for nearly 8 months. I was a complete noob when I started but I learned a lot about technique and theory. My teacher introduced pentatonics to me right before I stopped. He taught me what they were and I taught myself how to use them.

Now I want to get to that next level. I want to break out of the box and improve my blues playing (7ths, etc.).

My question: have any of you, who are more experienced than myself, went back to take lessons at my stage? I feel like I need it to get to that next level; both the coaching and motivation. did it help? is it worth it?

Also, I originally took lessons at a music school. I think I'd prefer a private independant teacher this time around... any advice?
XBL Gamertag: CashMoney54
Quote by CashMoney54
Hey UG,

Background info: I've been playing guitar for a touch more than 2 years. When I started, I took leassons for nearly 8 months. I was a complete noob when I started but I learned a lot about technique and theory. My teacher introduced pentatonics to me right before I stopped. He taught me what they were and I taught myself how to use them.

Now I want to get to that next level. I want to break out of the box and improve my blues playing (7ths, etc.).

My question: have any of you, who are more experienced than myself, went back to take lessons at my stage? I feel like I need it to get to that next level; both the coaching and motivation. did it help? is it worth it?

Also, I originally took lessons at a music school. I think I'd prefer a private independant teacher this time around... any advice?

I never had any structure or routine when I was teaching myself...I always need something harder to work on, and I usually have a hard time finding some material that suits my needs at the moment. Nothing IMO can benefit you more as a musician then a good teacher...that's my 2 cents anyway
yeah i wish i could afford a teacher when i was starting off probably be muchg better than i am now and even now id like some lessons to help me out get to the next level
do it
Last edited by supersac at Jun 28, 2010,
I actually went to a teacher for the first time after 7 years of playing. I felt like I had hit a roadblock and wanted someone to sort it out. It's good I did, it helped me clean up my picking technique, and get more fluid on the fretboard.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah I went to a teacher for a couple of years and learned all the basics and even some intermediate level stuff. Then I decided to take a break and do some practicing on my own, which worked fine for a while. And then I decided that I wanted to learn some more advanced stuff so I went ahead and started taking lessons again from the same guy and it helped a ton. I mean these teachers know their stuff really well, thus the reason they are teaching. So there is nothing wrong with taking more lessons, it's how you learn. So I guess I would recommend trying the private teacher and definitely take more lessons. Hope this helps I tried to be thorough!