I am learning a lot of Dream Theater songs at the moment, and the one that I just completely finished is "The Count of Tuscany." It took me around a week to two weeks to get every part nailed. I was wondering on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being extremely difficult where this song may fall. The reason why I am asking is I am challenging myself to move on to more of their technical songs found on both "Awake" and "Metropolis Pt. 2." Also, what songs can you recommend that are of slightly higher skill level. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Ampersand87 at Jun 29, 2010,
In all honesty, this song is probably one of their easiest songs, probably around 4 let's say on a scale based entirely on the difficulty of Dream Theater songs. The reason for this is the slow tempo and the minimal techniques involved in pretty much any part of the song. Not to discourage you, that's just cause they're a pretty technical band; you're still a good player if you can get through this song. There's one section with some slightly more difficult rhythm playing, but for the most part over all it lays pretty low.

For a more difficult song, try "The Dark Eternal Night" off their Systematic Chaos album. It's not their best of songs to listen to IMO, but for the most part it puts you through more hell than anything in "The Count of Tuscany". The central section has some pretty disgusting time signatures. Have fun, good luck, and hell I can't even play Count of Tuscany XD
Cool. Thanks! I will try that song out. Any songs specifically that aren't 7 string?
Last edited by Ampersand87 at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Ampersand87
Cool. Thanks! I will try that song out. Any songs specifically that aren't 7 string?

Learn the best of times, mainly the solo.