Hey guys so ive started fiddling around with trying to write my own stuff but the problem i have is i can come up with a little riff or progression or whatever but i can never continue it on with something that flows.

So i posted this intro i thought of just before but i have no idea how to continue it
would you guys be able to help me with this problem?
Erm, which intro?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I'm guessing it's on your profile and profiles are down atm, so...

anyways, that's the beauty of songwriting, you can make it go any direction you want, it all depends on where you want it to go. so listen to it / play it and then imagine what sort of direction you want it to go in next. just think of a general feel or overall idea of where you want it to go, and then try to write something in that vein. if it doesn't really mesh to your liking you can make a little fill to help bridge the two parts together, this fill can be as short or as long as you want, and may even turn into another verse or riff.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jun 29, 2010,
Yeah, well what I like to do if I get stuck is to play random chords. Because sooner or later, after saying, 'that's shit, that's shit, that's shit' I will say 'ooh, that's nice' and then you get a nice little link to your first verse. But that's only if the music is hard to come by. When I can't think of anything good to write, I try to completely ignore it for a few hours and come back to it fresh and have another go. If that doesn't work, I generally save the song and come back to it in a month or whatever.

I find that feeling a certain emotion, such as anger or love or whatever it might be, helps to 'shape' the sound of the song in my head. I once got into a huge argument with my boss. He was such a pig-headed idiot who was too proud to admit when he was wrong. He knew he was wrong about this particular issue but he wouldn't admit and shit it made me angry. anyway, long story short - as I walked away I thought of all these great things I should have said, and these things became the lyrics to a song I wrote. When I got home the music just came to me without trying - lots of diminished chords and such. anyway, good luck.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!