I'm looking for a new high endish guitar that will be able to last me a long time.
Are there any ways to judge if a guitar is going to have good sustain, based on the specs?
I play a bit of metal, Opeth, Isis, Buckethead, Mastodon.
I've been told that neck-thru offeres good sustain, and by other people that it doesn't - I'm just confused now.
Are there any guitars out there that offer versatility, warm sound, and amazing sustain?
Note: my price range is 2g.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Try fernandes guitars. They are great guitars and have the fernandes sustainer pickup which will be pretty good for you. Check them out.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
I love that movie.

Edit: Does the Fernandes sustainer put out a tinny sound or is it nice and organic?
Gear:

Last edited by Nimbus456 at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Nimbus456
I love that movie.

Edit: Does the Fernandes sustainer put out a tinny sound or is it nice and organic?

It's got a VERY natural sound (It just adds sustain to whatever pickup you've got in your bridge position. So basically it sounds like whatever pickup you've already got in the guitar) , surprisingly. Steve vai and a lot of other pro musicians use it live and in studio, you can see all the details on their website
CALL ME JOHN

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
I had a look at some reviews, and when people use the sustainer by itself it sounds dry, muddy, flat, and ickky. I'm not sure I like fernandes ):
They had me drooling, until I heard it. I'm hoping it was just the people playing it that made it sound that way.
Gear:

Maybe save up for a Moog E1? It seems pretty badass, although I haven't gotten my hands on one yet.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Quote by Nimbus456
I had a look at some reviews, and when people use the sustainer by itself it sounds dry, muddy, flat, and ickky. I'm not sure I like fernandes ):
They had me drooling, until I heard it. I'm hoping it was just the people playing it that made it sound that way.

I don't think you can use it by itself It's just a thing you put in the neck position where the neck pickup would usually be, which emits a magnetic field to keep the string sustaining. You can't use it as a source of output, like a pickup. It's basically an accessory to a pickup, which keeps strings vibrating (which means you can use it acoustically too. It will sound like your bridge, or middle pickup.

Check out this video of Steve vai using it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxEw_08eQ4s

The part where he blows on it is basically just for stage presence, he's actually switching the sustainer to harmonic mode which basically turns whatever note you're playing into a harmonic (or sometimes feedback).

IBANEDIT: He also uses it in this video. It's my favourite ^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk

IBANEDIT2: Also, I think you may be confused, unless I have a misunderstanding by the other post you made.

The sustainer pickup can be installed into the neck position of any guitar, like a guitar you may have now, rather than buying a whole new guitar. If you wanna buy the sustainer pickup kit, they have single coil, humbucker sizes, etc.
CALL ME JOHN

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Last edited by IbanezRGS at Jun 29, 2010,
In that case, I really do like the Fernandes Monterey Elite.
Gear:

Quote by MooseWithAGlock
Les Paul.

most beautiful, rich, natural, clean sustain i've ever heard
Quote by IbanezRGS
I like you

haha,If my profile link was working I'd send you a friend request

you got a nice taste man
Quote by archenemyfan
haha,If my profile link was working I'd send you a friend request

you got a nice taste man

Oh damn, broken internet! I'm writing your name down, seriously. Thanks
CALL ME JOHN

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
"Amazing sustain" comes from maple. Problem or you is, maple is anything but "warm", it's pretty much the brightest-toned wood out there. A properly made, bolt-on, one-piece maple neck on a one-piece maple body with a single piece, warparound fixed bridge and low output pickups will sustain longer than absolutely any other guitar around (other than guitars fitted with artificial sustainer systems of course), but this will also produce an incredibly bright tone. For a warm tone you'll want mahogany or limba, set neck construction and slightly-hotter-than-medium pickups; the cost of this is it won't sustain as well as the maple guitar would. A neck-through guitar with a maple neck/body core and mahogany body wings will offer a decent compromise between the two if it has a carved top (i.e. decent body thickness), a medium thickness neck (i.e. not an Ibanez or Charvel deal), a good truss rod and the woods are decent quality, but these can be hard to find as most neck-through guitars are made with very thin necks and nothing saps both warmth and sustain like a thin neck does.

So you're going to have to compromise somewhere. You can't get the best sustain around with a warm tone. You can get guitars that have okay sustain with a warm tone or guitars with great sustain and a balanced tone, but long sustain & warm don't go together very often outside of very rare and very expensive master-crafted custom builds. My advice would be work out which you are more willing to compromise on and go from there.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^^^^
You seem to know what you're talking about.
Thanks a lot for the reply
From looking around, I have seen one brand of guitars (Ed Roman) that offer archtop and neck through construction, and they sit around the 3-6g mark.
The next best thing I've seen was a carvin neck through, with maple neck/core and mahogany sides. But it's not archtop.
I guess i'm willing to lose a little sustain for warmth, and if it comes to it I am considering putting in an artificial sustainer, like the fernandes guitars.
Gear:

Pretty much any high-end fixed bridge guitar will have great sustain. Even ones with trems will have good sustain. You probably overestimating sustain. There's only so much usable sustain. No one wants to hear a 10-second note. Controlling vibrato and feedback allows any note to be held for eternity. You won't notice any difference in sustain based on the neck construction. There are more important factors that affect sustain.
Check out some Yamaha SG 1000 or the 2000 series.
Or Jackson RR5 or Jackson RR1
Or Gibson Les Paul.

Or just add the Freneneders Sustainer pickup to your current guitar.

Edit: Check out some PRS
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Last edited by ibrahimasood at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Pretty much any high-end fixed bridge guitar will have great sustain. Even ones with trems will have good sustain. You probably overestimating sustain. There's only so much usable sustain. No one wants to hear a 10-second note. Controlling vibrato and feedback allows any note to be held for eternity. You won't notice any difference in sustain based on the neck construction. There are more important factors that affect sustain.

yeah,I dont think you have to get that technical..TBH Gibson LP's have more than enough sustain for me..

but in the end mrFibble knows much more than I do,maybe he has a point you know ?
I FOUND IT!!!! THE ONE!!!
An ESP Eclipse Custom.
It has the neck-thru construction, les-paul style body, TOM bridge,
Maple archtop with mahogany wings, and maple neck. It's exactly what was described as a comprimise.
AND it's only 1800 US... so that's like... 2g aus. Perfect.

Thankyou Mr. Fibble and others.
Gear:

If you don't like sustainer system,try a guitar with a string-thru body with a neck-thru construction.I was told that this type of guitar offers great sustain too.Tell me if i'm mistaken.
Quote by Nimbus456
I FOUND IT!!!! THE ONE!!!
An ESP Eclipse Custom.
It has the neck-thru construction, les-paul style body, TOM bridge,
Maple archtop with mahogany wings, and maple neck. It's exactly what was described as a comprimise.
AND it's only 1800 US... so that's like... 2g aus. Perfect.

Thankyou Mr. Fibble and others.

Sorry to burst your bubble but an ESP Custom is way out of your budget. They run about 4000 USD. Don't get a $2000 guitar just because of the specs, you have to play them. Experience the sustain for yourself. Don't look at a guitar's specs on paper and assume it will sustain well. Try it out. You're just looking for a guitar that can hold notes longest. It doesn't make much sense to me because you probably won't ever use the maximum sustain of a guitar since all of them can sustain forever under the right conditions. Look at guitars as a whole since you cannot change 90% of the specs. Once you learn to control sustain, you'll never have a problem with it.
Yeah, I just found out the Custom's price, and that no one sells them - so I'd have to get one from the custom shop... and they go for 7g Aus. hahahaa.

As for the looking at paper and hoping it'll turn out fine, yeah I've been doing that. Might go to Billy Hyde's tomorrow and see if there's anything I like.
Gear:

If you like the idea of an ESP, the fixed bridge ESP Horizons are made with a neck-through maple neck/body core and mahogany wings, with a thick arched top. Not quite as hefty as the Eclipse of course but still fairly warm as far as neck-through maple guitars go.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Alright, I'll check them out.
Cheers!
Gear:

I have a schecter tempest extreme. (the downgrade of the classic)
The sustain when I got it was no more then three seconds long, and miraculously I can now hold a note for at least five. O.o
Schecter are a good brand imo, but looking for something more high end, and doesn't endorse emg.
Gear:

Quote by MrFlibble
You can't get the best sustain around with a warm tone

What about rosewood? Rosewood is super dense, but is very oily and dampens the high end IIRC. Not many cheap rosewood-necked guitars out there, but that's your answer for warm, sustaining tone.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
What about rosewood? Rosewood is super dense, but is very oily and dampens the high end IIRC. Not many cheap rosewood-necked guitars out there, but that's your answer for warm, sustaining tone.

Exactly. This guy has hit the nail on the head. My Les Paul has a rosewood neck, a carved maple top, and a mahogany body.

Dude, if you want the guitar that is famous for it's sustain, that DEFINES sustain, you're getting a Les Paul.

And probably a Gibson, not the ESP knockoff (although they are very nice guitars). Personally, because of the necks on ESPs, I don't think they'll vibrate as well, simply because they're thinner than the fat chunky neck Les Pauls are known for.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by bingeandletgo
Try to find a guitar with a rosewood neck that would be suitable for metal for under two grand. You won't, othe than a Warmoth custom build. Even that would be pushing the budget very hard and you'd almost certainly have to skimp on the rest of the guitar.

Even if you pay out for something like the rosewood-necked PRS models, that sort of thign is always going to be a set neck so you're still getting most of the tone from the body, not the neck.

Quote by TheLifeguard
My Les Paul has a rosewood neck,
No it doesn't, it has a rosewood fretboard. Massive, massive difference.
any decent guitar will have good sustain. if you want endless sustain get one of those feedback pickups from Fernandes, or turn up the amp. also it's easy to get great sustain from a nice tube amp.
Damn you and your correctness MrFlibble.

I will now leave.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
No Flibble, I agree. I just meant in general i.e. no budget
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Neck-thru certainly gives massive sustain.
I recommend IbanezRGT42 (they are cheap with extraordinary quality).