I've been wearing my retainers for almost 6 years non stop. My bottom one just broke again, 2nd time. I haven't been to the braces doctor for years because it wasn't necessary. Anyone take theirs off and their teeth have stayed put? I'm asking this now because they just broke now and the office is closed.
LOL
If you stop wearing your retainer, your teeth will fall back to the way they were. But in my case, it was only by a very small amount.

Very very small.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

May I interject to ask: Does anyone who used to wear braces, quite like how your head itches when people mention head lice, feel an aching sensation in their teeth when braces are mentioned?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
yeah...you wanna get your retainer fixed.

I hardly ever wear mine, but I pop it in every now and then for a few nights in a row to straighten things up. My teeth move A LOT because I don't wear it as often as I should.
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

e-married to zgr0826
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
If you stop wearing your retainer, your teeth will fall back to the way they were. But in my case, it was only by a very small amount.

Very very small.

Im 22, had them on for 6 years going on 7, I wonder if they are still needed.
LOL
Thank god I have a permanent one. Sort of hard to clean, but it's worth it.

You'll want to get it fixed. You're teeth will just start to become unstraight again if you don't wear it.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jun 29, 2010,
I haven't worn it for years and my teeth aren't perfectly lined up anymore. They moved a bit, but not enough to need fixing. I'd say if you still wear it, continue to do so. I regret not wearing mine.

If it's been that long, though, you may not need them anymore. Take them out for a few days, then wear them again and see if they still fit well. If not, you probably still need them.
I had braces for about 3 years. I had to wear the retainer all the time for 6 months or a year, then only at night for a year, then just occasionally. I stopped after about 2 years, and my teeth are still amazingly straight.
“Any other day I’d say no, but today I’m gonna go ahead and just say no.”

-Dr. Cox
yea, I wore my retainer for about a year or so... I started forgetting more and more and I haven't worn em at all in a long time. my teeth have moved a good bit, but not real bad and even if they go back to the way they were I'm not getting braces again. that was horrible.
I wore mine for 4 years before I lost it. My teeth have moved enough for me to curse myself for not getting a replacement.
Quote by gunther_sucks
I wore mine for 4 years before I lost it. My teeth have moved enough for me to curse myself for not getting a replacement.

I remember the last time, she charged me near 500 dollars to get a replacement. I'm still wearing them right now, but the front wire that goes across the bottom teeth broke off. the retainers still fit, they cost too damn much. I don't get why the bottom ones broke again.
LOL
I wore 2 to fix an underbite, then braces for 2 years, then plastic shitty retainers, and then finally one to hold my teeth in place that I wore for 3 years (give or take a few months) and then sort of stopped because I just didn't feel like wearing it anymore.

My teeth have shifted a little but it's unnoticeable unless you look really hard.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I never wore my retainer 24/7 like I was supposed to...The top ones are fine, but the bottom ones moved a little bit.

A few days wont make a difference though.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I was supposed to wear a retainer after I got my braces off, but I was so sick of dealing with braces that I threw my retainer away and never went back. My teeth are still the same as when I got my braces off so I don't buy that whole thing about "they move back if you don't wear a retainer"
I'm supposed to wear it every other night, but I sometimes go up to a week without it. I can really feel it when I do so, because it becomes hard to fit the retainer on, and I can feel quite a difference in my teeth.

I think the idea is that the longer you wear it, the longer your teeth stay put without needing it, so I'm sticking with it until my teeth stop moving in just a few days without the retainer.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
I never got braces because I didn't let my teeth being crooked bother me.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Kilobyte
I'm supposed to wear it every other night, but I sometimes go up to a week without it. I can really feel it when I do so, because it becomes hard to fit the retainer on, and I can feel quite a difference in my teeth.

Mine always kind of hurt when I wore them because I didn't do it regularly enough. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with really sore teeth. I still have bad dreams about them sometimes.
I never wore my retainer. My teeth shifted, but not much. I don't really regret not wearing my retainer, my teeth weren't ****ed up enough for me to want to do something every day for the rest of my life.
I wore mine for something like 5 years.
I stopped wearing mine about 2 years ago, and my teeth have not moved at all
I'm going to wait a week or two, if they feel ok, I'm going to wear them at night. The wire in the front popped off while cleaning them but they are still wearable. If they feel shifted or feel tight after wearing them, I'm going to get them replaced possibly. My top ones are still good!
LOL
After 3 years of braces, I wore mine for maybe 2-3 months. It's been around 3 or 4 years since I last wore them and my teeth haven't moved at all.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
I don't wear it anymore. Even with constant use, my top row of teeth would not stay straight, so I had a wire glued to the back of my teeth that keeps them in place. It was the best thing I ever did, because my teeth haven't moved for years and I don't need to worry about a retainer.

As for my bottom teeth, I stopped wearing the retainer, and they moved a little for a few months, but they're still straight enough, and haven't moved since.

I would highly recommend going the permanent wire. It's pretty annoying for the first few weeks, but you forget about it pretty soon, and the result is hassle-free straight teeth.

EDIT:
Quote by RockGuitar92
I never got braces because I didn't let my teeth being crooked bother me.

For most people, it's not an aesthetic choice. Seriously crooked teeth can lead to many health problems down the track.

EDITx2:
Quote by Thrill-house
I don't buy that whole thing about "they move back if you don't wear a retainer"

It's different for everybody. Before I got the permanent wire, my front teeth would look noticeably different If I didn't wear my retainer for one night. Seriously.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Very very small.

I stopped wearing mine a few months after I got them. My teeth moved a bit, but nowhere close to where they were before I had braces.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I don't wear it anymore. Even with constant use, my top row of teeth would not stay straight, so I had a wire glued to the back of my teeth that keeps them in place. It was the best thing I ever did, because my teeth haven't moved for years and I don't need to worry about a retainer.

As for my bottom teeth, I stopped wearing the retainer, and they moved a little for a few months, but they're still straight enough, and haven't moved since.

I would highly recommend going the permanent wire. It's pretty annoying for the first few weeks, but you forget about it pretty soon, and the result is hassle-free straight teeth.

EDIT:
For most people, it's not an aesthetic choice. Seriously crooked teeth can lead to many health problems down the track.

EDITx2:
It's different for everybody. Before I got the permanent wire, my front teeth would look noticeably different If I didn't wear my retainer for one night. Seriously.
Wait, you can get that for ALL your teeth? I got that between my two front teeth on the top, but didn't know you could get that everywhere....
I just wear my retainer at night. Your teeth will likely shift around if you don't wear them and then it will have been pretty much pointless to have gotten braces at all.
Quote by herby190
Wait, you can get that for ALL your teeth? I got that between my two front teeth on the top, but didn't know you could get that everywhere....

Well the major problem with my top row was the gap between my two front teeth, and when it opened, it shifted the teeth alongside them. My wire covers my 6 front teeth, starting at one canine and going across to the other one.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I had to wear a retainer for 2 years, but in December '08, I left it home when I went to Disney so I wouldn't have to worry about losing it there. Ever since then, I never wore except for like a few nights. My upper teeth probably moved ever so slightly, but they are pretty much the same since I took it off.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I've been wearing retainers ever since i had my braces out early 09, just over night though.

Apparently according to my orthodontist you pretty muh have to continue wearing them for the rest of your life if you want your teeth to stay perfect but I know someone who stopped when she turned 18 or something, I think as you grow older it gets a lot better, but she did basically get all her teeth ripped out and braces put in at a young age (12-13 or something)

So yeah, in the end you might as well keep wearing them overnight, but eventually if you miss them one night cause you're busy at someone elses place (preferably a girls) it shouldn't matter much...
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
I've had mine for ages but my teeth still move loads if i dont wear my retainer for a while. Apparently the longer you wear your retainers for the slower your teethe move so id ge them fixed
i used to wear one as a kid, but for some reaosn i stopped wearing it and was only supposed to wear it at night. ahd then i stopped wearing it all together... my teeth shifted back a bit but not enough for me to care.

then again my teeth were never absolutely terrible so it didn't bother me.
Quote by TheBurningFish
May I interject to ask: Does anyone who used to wear braces, quite like how your head itches when people mention head lice, feel an aching sensation in their teeth when braces are mentioned?

Hell yes.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

I had braces for about a year and a half. I was supposed to wear my retainer 24/7 for a year, then only at night for another year.
I stopped wearing it 24/7 after 8 months, and gradually wore it less and less from that point on. Luckily, my teeth haven't moved a bit since then.
If I were you, I'd try the same, especially considering you've been wearing it for 6 years, that's a long time.. If you feel your teeth are moving, get your retainer fixed ASAP. There's no point in spending years fixing your teeth only to have them slide out of place again.

Good luck!
Haven't worn mine in like 4 years, teeth haven't moved an inch, about 3 years ago my permanent retainer on my bottom teeth broke off, didn't get it replace, teeth still haven't moved.

Idk, I have insanely tough teeth, I take 1200 mg of calcium every day, and I've never had a cavity.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

EDITx2:

I guess it is. I had my braces on for 5 years (my teeth were bad) and I didn't wear my retainer once and my teeth are exactly the same as when I got the braces off.
I had braces until I was 15 and by the time I was 17 i think my mouth had just grown too much because they didn't fit any more. The top teeth stayed the same but the bottom ones went really crooked again.

It depends, I think, how much work you had done on them, ie how much they would move back by.
I haven't worn mine in a while, but I really should. I'd really like to not have braces again.
"Whoever said beauty is only skin deep must have been thinking of you."
Quote by Schectera666
I had braces for about a year and a half. I was supposed to wear my retainer 24/7 for a year, then only at night for another year.
I stopped wearing it 24/7 after 8 months, and gradually wore it less and less from that point on. Luckily, my teeth haven't moved a bit since then.
If I were you, I'd try the same, especially considering you've been wearing it for 6 years, that's a long time.. If you feel your teeth are moving, get your retainer fixed ASAP. There's no point in spending years fixing your teeth only to have them slide out of place again.

Good luck!

thanks man! I'm still wearing the bottom ones that broke, the molar hooks still go around and the retainer is firm in place. Going to give it a week and decide if I can last it out and notice no movement on the bottom teeth. If I notice the retain is tight, I'm running to the doctor and going to get them replaced.
LOL