Poll: Would you pay to see a cover band?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you pay to see a cover band?
Yes, I would pay money to see a cover band
77 61%
No, I would not pay money to see a cover band
44 35%
I'm in a cover band STFU!
5 4%
Voters: 126.
Page 1 of 2
The other night my mom went to see some Beatles cover band that had come through on a tour. Afterwards I asked her why she paid money to see a cover band and she said that she likes the songs, regardless of who's playing them.

Personally, half the enjoyment of a concert IMO is watching the musicians I look up to play their songs. I like the experience of seeing them in person. I'm fine with a band doing a cover in their setlist, but I would never pay money to see a band that only plays covers of other people's songs. Especially a band that only covers 1 band's songs.

Am I the only one that feels this way? Discuss.
Check out my band Disturbed
if it's a tribute band that only plays one band's songs, and does them justice, hells yeah I'd pay to see that.

But just a bunch of covers, nah. Maybe just for a night out, like 4-5 bucks or something, but not more.
Musicians have to be paid.
The band often has their own take on the songs.
The band is still providing you entertainment.

They deserve to be paid.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by CoreysMonster
if it's a tribute band that only plays one band's songs, and does them justice, hells yeah I'd pay to see that.

That sounds about right. There are some bands that aren't really possible to see any more. If I could experience a band that captures their essence and sound well in a live show then I'd pay to see it. It wouldn't be quite the same of course, but it would be better than nothing.
I would totally pay to see a cover band, if their setlist was enjoyable.
It's always great to hear good songs live.
If the band is good and skilled, and do the songs like they're supposed to be played, then hells yeah.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by metallicafan616
Musicians have to be paid.
The band often has their own take on the songs.
The band is still providing you entertainment.

They deserve to be paid.

This
Quote by captaincrunk
Cover bands usually have permission too, don't they? I say let them have their money, they paid for it.

No, I don't think so. As far as I know, you can perform any song you like whenever you like. You just can't SELL it without the owner's permission.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

I wouldn't simply because I think it would be a waste of money. If I'm gonna be paying money to see a band, it better damn well be a band that plays their own songs. I'm fine with bands covering songs, but when you're a band that only covers songs, well then you're not getting my money. No offence to people in cover/tribute bands, I just feel that if you're talented enough to play an instrument in the first place then you shouldn't waste your talent playing someone else's songs.
Quote by seemeel
No, I don't think so. As far as I know, you can perform any song you like whenever you like. You just can't SELL it without the owner's permission.

IF they get paid at the performance... they're selling it.
I have done, the all metal tribute to the beegee's... "tragedy" they have an album out "we rock sweet balls and can do no evil" they are amazing!
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by captaincrunk
IF they get paid at the performance... they're selling it.

doesn't matter, you don't have to pay when you cover a song live unless it's on television.
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah, Not really. I'm in agreement about how I love seeing the musicians themselves.

So you wouldn't want to see the cover bands full stop, surely? I think the question is whether they should be paid rather than would you want to see them, so if we were to assume you wanted to see a cover band, would you pay them?

Quote by seemeel

You don't sell their music, you sell entertainment IMO.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by metallicafan616
So you wouldn't want to see the cover bands full stop, surely? I think the question is whether they should be paid rather than would you want to see them, so if we were to assume you wanted to see a cover band, would you pay them?

No.

I'm asking if you would pay money to see a cover band, not if the band deserves to get paid. 2 totally different things.
It's not about whether you would go to a covers band show, but whether you would PAY. you go to a show to be entertained, not JUST to listen to music. You could do that at home. If the entertainment fits the bill, then I'd pay for it.

Last edited by seemeel at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by StewieSwan
No.

I'm asking if you would pay money to see a cover band, not if the band deserves to get paid. 2 totally different things.

Oh, okay.

My question goes to Madcap then, out of curiosity.

Quote by Declan87
ITT: people who have never seen the Australian Pink Floyd

I don't even like the actual Pink Floyd.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I don't even like the actual Pink Floyd.

Well then you have major problems. I suggest suicide at the earliest possible opportunity.

Quote by seemeel
Well then you have major problems. I suggest suicide at the earliest possible opportunity.

Quote by captaincrunk
What do you like? Just wondering. I've never met someone who disliked every pink floyd song.

Check my profile. That's easier than me listing bands, because I'm lazy.
Quote by captaincrunk
What do you like? Just wondering. I've never met someone who disliked every pink floyd song.

I don't dislike every Pink Floyd song, but I don't really enjoy very many of them.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Your other alternative is to lock yourself in a room with Pink Floyd's entire catalogue, and play it from start to finish.

On my computer I have 336 Floyd songs - many are bootlegs but there's over 32 hours of stuff there. So, bring snacks. And marijuana.

Quote by metallicafan616
So you wouldn't want to see the cover bands full stop, surely?
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a cover band, so no. I just can't see myself getting in my car, finding someone to go with, buying a ticket and spending time at a concert for a cover band.
Quote by metallicafan616
I think the question is whether they should be paid rather than would you want to see them, so if we were to assume you wanted to see a cover band, would you pay them?
Sure they should get paid. Just like a pianist should get paid if he play's a concert of Chopin pieces.
Quite honestly, I'd rather see an entire setlist of GOOD covered songs than any small garage bands original shit, no offense. I mean, obviously we don't have the chance to go see the Beatles anymore right, so a band that does good covers would be fine...

/just my 2 cents

EDIT: To anyone that claims they don't like Pink Floyd, that is NOT possible, seriously you just haven't given enough songs a try.
Last edited by Epicbizzjizz at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by dmiwshicldply
i just went and saw ZOSO the way i figure it a tribute band is the closest im ever going to get to seeing Zeppelin or the beatles or hendrix etc etc so ill take it

This. If it's done right, of course.

Quote by captaincrunk
Oh wow I love all the music you like. I was really surprised

Quote by seemeel
Your other alternative is to lock yourself in a room with Pink Floyd's entire catalogue, and play it from start to finish.

On my computer I have 336 Floyd songs - many are bootlegs but there's over 32 hours of stuff there. So, bring snacks. And marijuana.

I don't think a person who loves Pink Floyd can even do that. And yes, I am challenging you Floyd lovers.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I don't think a person who loves Pink Floyd can even do that. And yes, I am challenging you Floyd lovers.

If I had the time (which I will soon) I would do it. But I don't have the inclination. I know pretty much the entire catalogue back to front and love it. I don't need to prove it to anyone. Plus, I have no marijuana.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
EDIT: To anyone that claims they don't like Pink Floyd, that is NOT possible, seriously you just haven't given enough songs a try.

I don't like them at all. I find their songs to be incredibly boring tbh.
no i wouldnt pay. the only reason i like to go to shows is because i liketo see how the songs are performed by the people who made them
Page 1 of 2