I attached the song to this post. I wrote it on tuxguitar but saved it to guitar pro so I could upload it, note I slide a bit more when I actually play it but it sounds like shit on tuxguitar so I chose to omit it on there.

ANYWAYS back to the song that I attached, I'm not quiet sure where to go with it. Please don't tell me to add percussion/bass/another guitar to it because I just transcribed it to Tuxguitar since I don't have any good recording equipment. I'll add that stuff in when I'm in a band The song is in the C Major scale as you can tell when you listen to it. So any help would be appreciated.
Attachments:
Song Idea #1.gp5
Please don't tell me to add percussion/bass/another guitar to it because I just transcribed it to Tuxguitar since I don't have any good recording equipment.

I'll add that stuff in when I'm in a band

It's unclear to me what you want to go with the song? It's not like you cant record / write those parts yourself though, even using shitty recording equipment. Okay, that sounded a bit douchy of me, but imo if you write a song for a single guitar it's important to write some rythm / chords / melody whatever to go with it.
Even if you never intend to use those parts 'for real', it's key to *imply* rythm, meter and melodic/harmonic dynamics. That's a lot easier when you have actual tracks to compare to

The song is in the C Major scale as you can tell when you listen to it. So any help would be appreciated.

The scale is definitly C Major, but it sounds kinda modal to me. Looking at it, the piece seems to revolve more around the subdominant (F) then the tonic (C). Also, there is more interplay between F and it's relative fifth (C) then between C and the fifth (G). So I guess this is Lydian? (I'm not that knowledgable on modes, so someone probably will correct me on that

No-one will write your song for you, altough you might want to try either making the next part where instead of playing the octave intervals you turn them into their relative triads, or translate the interval degrees to C or G.
Quote by ShadesOfGray
The scale is definitly C Major, but it sounds kinda modal to me. Looking at it, the piece seems to revolve more around the subdominant (F) then the tonic (C). Also, there is more interplay between F and it's relative fifth (C) then between C and the fifth (G). So I guess this is Lydian? (I'm not that knowledgable on modes, so someone probably will correct me on that

you don't need to be corrected - you're absolutely right. it is indeed in F lydian.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Yeah, I think it is in F Lydian.

Edit: indeed it is!

I'd suggest trying to create a melody for it or adding some more chords under it or as the next section. Different rhythms and such can also make it capture the listeners attention.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by AeolianWolf
you don't need to be corrected - you're absolutely right. it is indeed in F lydian.

It's nice to know I got something modal related right at least once
Quote by Joshua1207
Well since its in F Lydian apparently, if I were to add another guitar to play chords I'd play something like F, A, D, E, F and that would sound good?

Yes, but Am, Dm and Em if you want a diatonic progression. You could use A major for a brief modulation, or even just between two F chords to add some chromatic spice. On second thought that may not work so well as you will overide the modal flavour. To maintain the modal flavour you have to emphasize the raised fourth degree (B natural) so that would be Dm, G and Bo (diminished).
Quote by GuitarGuitar
Yes, but Am, Dm and Em if you want a diatonic progression. You could use A major for a brief modulation, or even just between two F chords to add some chromatic spice. On second thought that may not work so well as you will overide the modal flavour. To maintain the modal flavour you have to emphasize the raised fourth degree (B natural) so that would be Dm, G and Bo (diminished).

there's no B in Dm. maybe you meant Em?

if you're going to use G and/or Bº, be VERY careful in your resolution -- improperly treated, these chords are going to want to resolve to C major, particularly Bº. unless you want to modulate, treat these chords carefully.
i suggest u to create a melody n u should make a team n then work out that song...
song is correlated each other.. take a good theame
Quote by AeolianWolf
there's no B in Dm. maybe you meant Em?

if you're going to use G and/or Bº, be VERY careful in your resolution -- improperly treated, these chords are going to want to resolve to C major, particularly Bº. unless you want to modulate, treat these chords carefully.

Yep, my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. I was checking it on my keyboard so I think thats why I got the root mixed up.
Quote by GuitarGuitar

Yeah, I meant those as minors just didn't feel like adding the m to them lol.
But wait, so if I want to keep the modal flavor the F, Am, Dm, Em, F chord progression wouldn't be good?
Quote by Joshua1207
Yeah, I meant those as minors just didn't feel like adding the m to them lol.
But wait, so if I want to keep the modal flavor the F, Am, Dm, Em, F chord progression wouldn't be good?

it'd be fine -- you DO have the B in the Em chord, but you could really do better to emphasize the lydian flavor.

maybe something like Fmaj7 - Gmaj - Am - Dm6 - Em - Fmaj. or if you want a 4-chord thing, try Fmaj - Gmaj - Dm6 - Em.
Quote by Joshua1207
Uhh, what's a good way to play a Dm6? Certainly can't play it using just the D G B e strings?

This is one way of playing it.

x
x
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by c_foster88
Dm6? here are a couple of ways.

xx0201

x53435

x57x68

9x899x

Isn't the first one wrong because you're using a major 6th? I didn't check the others but I assume you probably did it the same on those.
Quote by Joshua1207
Isn't the first one wrong because you're using a major 6th? I didn't check the others but I assume you probably did it the same on those.

no, it's right because he's using a major 6th. Dm6 is 1 b3 5 6. Dmb6 is 1 b3 5 b6. besides, the only reason i suggested Dm6 is because it has the B -- B is the major sixth of D.
Yes. Dm6 sounds a bit weird. It does work in that little progression he gave you, though.

D6 is a much better sounding chord, but replace Dm6 in that progression Aeolianwolf gave you? And D6 is going to sound completely out of place. If you are new to chords, comparing D6 and Dm6 would be good for you.

I believe the main difference between these two chords is Dm6 contains F and D6 contains F#.

But that progression he gave you is really good. Especially if you're wanting that vibe that mixing certain majors and minors give you. Kind of a moody, dark feel.
I want to open up your song, but I just downloaded a trial version of Guitar Pro 6 and it won't let me. I'd love to buy this thing, but just can't right now. Wish I didn't download the trial...made me want it more lol. Beats the crap out of Power tab
Quote by c_foster88
I want to open up your song, but I just downloaded a trial version of Guitar Pro 6 and it won't let me. I'd love to buy this thing, but just can't right now. Wish I didn't download the trial...made me want it more lol. Beats the crap out of Power tab

You could always use Tuxguitar, that's free
Quote by Joshua1207
You could always use Tuxguitar, that's free

I second that, and it's pretty good too. Not as chock full of extra this, extra that that GP has, but it pretty much has all the things you need.
I got TuxGuitar. Thanks.
I like it. I wish it had the look and feel of Guitar Pro, but you can't beat free stuff.
I am currently working on transcribing one of my new tunes into Tux. I'm struggling a little. Seems to take some practice and playing around with. Can you use capo in Tux Guitar? I found where to change tuning, but didn't see capo as an option.

I'll try to post it once it's done. Of course, the actual song sounds much much better than this MIDI stuff, but it's so cool that tabs can be done this way.

I listened to your tune, man. Nice stuff. As someone stated above, I'm not sure where you're going with it, but you said it's a work in progress. I'd be very interested in hearing the final production in MP3.

Get back to me.
Quote by c_foster88
I got TuxGuitar. Thanks.
I like it. I wish it had the look and feel of Guitar Pro, but you can't beat free stuff.
I am currently working on transcribing one of my new tunes into Tux. I'm struggling a little. Seems to take some practice and playing around with. Can you use capo in Tux Guitar? I found where to change tuning, but didn't see capo as an option.

I'll try to post it once it's done. Of course, the actual song sounds much much better than this MIDI stuff, but it's so cool that tabs can be done this way.

I listened to your tune, man. Nice stuff. As someone stated above, I'm not sure where you're going with it, but you said it's a work in progress. I'd be very interested in hearing the final production in MP3.

Get back to me.

Go to track then properties under that. Then use the offset for capo, so put it at like 5 and it'd be like a capo is on fret 5.

Thanks, I'm trying to think of some stuff to add to it. Sort of on a roadblock with it I always have a problem with where I can write something short, and sounds good, but then I can't ever think of something else to add to it.
Quote by Joshua1207
I can write something short, and sounds good, but then I can't ever think of something else to add to it.

That happens to me a lot as well. Keep at it and something will click. Trust me.
Whatever you do, don't give up. I remember John Mayer said one time that he locked himself in his room until he finished "Something's Missing". It took a few days! I'm glad he did, because "Something's Missing" is one of my favorite songs.
I made boulevard of broken dreams I need help making it better and optimizing it if we do this both of us credit not just you, And I want to write a song but don't really know how... I started by writing down my thoughts but I'm having a hard time putting them into lyrics.Its not complete but this is what I have so far.
Heres another song I'm working on. Some of the parts don't flow well, but it sounds much better on a actual guitar. I believe this is one of those songs where I'd need a rhythm guitar in the background for it to sound better, less random

Err... apparently when I uploaded it over to GP it took out all the bends and hammer ons/pull offs and etc. So it sounds even worse
Attachments:
Song Idea #2.gp5
Last edited by Joshua1207 at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Joshua1207
Heres another song I'm working on. Some of the parts don't flow well, but it sounds much better on a actual guitar. I believe this is one of those songs where I'd need a rhythm guitar in the background for it to sound better, less random

Definitely needs something to hold down the beat.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
yeah, you definitly need some rythm there, the piece really went all over the place as far as beats go.

Get into the habbit of putting in some percussion or drums as early in the writing as possible.
You can thrash it later, so it doesnt have to be fancy. Just a simple basedrum-snare-basedrum-snare pattern can even do the trick.

The reason why it's important to make it as soon as possible or even the first thing you do is that meter, even when you are just only implying one, is very important to make strong writing. And it's a lot easier to start writing your melody and harmony with a beat already there then having to rewrite everything later to get it to 'fit'.

Remember that music that is just rythm without melody is still music.
But in contrast melody cant exist without rhythm. In my oppinion, that means that even you if write for one instruments or a piece without percusion or anything, implying a strong rythm is still one of the most important (and overlooked) things.