i am about to order a 2x12 guitar cabinet from Avatar Speakers and have been given the rather confusing choice of selecting the speakers. i have eventually settled on either two Celestion G12K100s or one K100 and one Vintage 30.

apparently the K100 has a similar sound to the G12T-75, but more bottom heavy. if this is true, it is not good; i know that the T-75 has low mid range response. i don't like scooped mids, at all. i need to cut through the mix on some basic level. however, i have, on the other hand, heard enough horror stories about the V30's painfully sharp mid-range to dissuade me at least a bit from getting it.

i need a good warm response that sounds thick and crunchy in the low end but that will cut through a mix with relative ease while remaining smooth and not too hard on a listener's ears. these speakers will be playing all types of high gain stuff; metal of all forms basically.

i have no idea what to do seeing as how i have no personal experience with either of these speakers. someone, help, please!
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
if you find v30s too bright (like i do) and g12t-75s to scooped, i would reccomend a combination of g12h and v30 speakers. this will have a very balanced tonality. the smoothness of the g12h is well complimented by the clear (and sometimes too clear) upper mids of the v30.

the main problem with this setup is it's small power handling capacity. the power output of a cabinet is equal to that of the lowest power speaker multiplied by the number of speakers. this is because current, and in turn power is shared evenly between speakers of equal resistance. in the case of a 212 containing one g12h, the power handling capacity would only be 60w.

i was still on the hunt for a cab only a few days ago and i did plenty of research. i ended up with an engl standard cab. it contains v60 speakers. these sound like g12t-75s on steroids. more bottom end, less midrange and a more prominent version of the treble quirk that the g12t-75 has. overall it is a very deep and warm yet articulate sound. to compensate for the lack of mids, you would need to pump up the mid knobs on your amp significantly. however, the end result is good (or at least i think so ). a side note on this cab is that the cleans are very good because of the scooped, modern voicing. it adds a deep and almost '3D', yet glassy element to the sound.
Quote by RPExecutor
i have eventually settled on either two Celestion G12K100s or one K100 and one Vintage 30.

sounds like a setup i would recommend, good choice. though i don't like V30's myself they do have their place and matched with a K-100 will give a sound that helps cut through the mix.

Quote by RPExecutor
apparently the K100 has a similar sound to the G12T-75, but more bottom heavy. if this is true, it is not good; i know that the T-75 has low mid range response

sure, that description is pretty valid if all you have played is a T-75 and someone was trying to relate with you. i have only played T-75's briefly, but from what i remember the K-100 is quite a different beast. the K-100 has a more flat freq response (bordering on sterile), it also has an amazing low end response as well (doesn't add bass but handles it very well, great for slack tunings). the K-100 is also quite beefy, slack tunings and high gain won't make this speaker lose it's composure, it stays quite crisp at high volumes, high gain and slack tunings.

Quote by RPExecutor
i don't like scooped mids, at all. i need to cut through the mix on some basic level. however, i have, on the other hand, heard enough horror stories about the V30's painfully sharp mid-range to dissuade me at least a bit from getting it.

i am not a fan of V30's as they can be a bit much in the mids area and they tend to sounds a bit 'blocky' at high volume levels. but mixed with another speaker they can make your guitar stand out.

Quote by RPExecutor
i need a good warm response that sounds thick and crunchy in the low end but that will cut through a mix with relative ease while remaining smooth and not too hard on a listener's ears. these speakers will be playing all types of high gain stuff; metal of all forms basically.

i have no idea what to do seeing as how i have no personal experience with either of these speakers. someone, help, please!

i wouldn't worry about cutting through the mix with speakers, i'd get something fairly flat and use a mids from the amp to help cut through the mix better.

the choice is ultimately yours though, it sounds like you'd probably like:
1) a couple of G12K-100's, i played the G12k-85's for years and that is just the best high gain speaker i have played so far.

2) a G12K-100 with a V30. if 'cutting in the mix' is your main concern than mixing a v30 with your K-100 will achieve this purpose. the V30 also lends a bit more of a natural response to the pairing as well and feedback and harmonics will sound a less forced.

3) a G12K-100 and a lead 80. i have seen lead 80 style pairings recently and have actually tried it a K with a blackshadow(i heard the blackshadow was derived from a lead 80), not a bad pairing at all. the lead 80 is known to be a bit scooped, but sounds incredibly complimentary to the K-100. plus if you have a bright amp then these speakers will allow you to tame that brightness. like i am pairing my THD bivalve with a blackshadow and the speaker is so scooped that i can actually use my mid boost on the THD without piercing my eardrums.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
What amp are you using these with? If you're using a mid-heavy amp and you don't like a lot of mids then you will want a speaker with less mid response, if your amp is too thin then you'd want something with a better bass response and less high-end focused, etc.

When choosing a speaker you really need to take into consideration what the amp itself sounds like in relation to what type of tone you're looking for so you can pair it with speakers that compliment its natural tone.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado

the main problem with this setup is it's small power handling capacity. the power output of a cabinet is equal to that of the lowest power speaker multiplied by the number of speakers. this is because current, and in turn power is shared evenly between speakers of equal resistance. in the case of a 212 containing one g12h, the power handling capacity would only be 60w.

this is a bit of a problem. i do have an adjustable-power head, and i have to admit i do quite like the g12h, but i would prefer to have some speakers that don't make me have to worry about power rating and whatnot. thanks anyway.

Quote by gumbilicious
sure, that description is pretty valid if all you have played is a T-75 and someone was trying to relate with you. i have only played T-75's briefly, but from what i remember the K-100 is quite a different beast. the K-100 has a more flat freq response (bordering on sterile), it also has an amazing low end response as well (doesn't add bass but handles it very well, great for slack tunings). the K-100 is also quite beefy, slack tunings and high gain won't make this speaker lose it's composure, it stays quite crisp at high volumes, high gain and slack tunings.

this is quite helpful, thanks. it's good to hear that this speaker will do what i want it to do in the low end at least.

Quote by gumbilicious
i am not a fan of V30's as they can be a bit much in the mids area and they tend to sounds a bit 'blocky' at high volume levels. but mixed with another speaker they can make your guitar stand out.

i wouldn't worry about cutting through the mix with speakers, i'd get something fairly flat and use a mids from the amp to help cut through the mix better.

that's another thing i can consider. i was pretty sure i wasn't going to settle on just the V30s as well so it's good that they sound better when mixed.

i do play with the EQ on my amp quite a bit, so i think i would eventually be able to get some sort of good sound out of whatever speakers i get. still, no harm in figuring out the best options.

Quote by gumbilicious
the choice is ultimately yours though, it sounds like you'd probably like:
1) a couple of G12K-100's, i played the G12k-85's for years and that is just the best high gain speaker i have played so far.

2) a G12K-100 with a V30. if 'cutting in the mix' is your main concern than mixing a v30 with your K-100 will achieve this purpose. the V30 also lends a bit more of a natural response to the pairing as well and feedback and harmonics will sound a less forced.

3) a G12K-100 and a lead 80. i have seen lead 80 style pairings recently and have actually tried it a K with a blackshadow(i heard the blackshadow was derived from a lead 80), not a bad pairing at all. the lead 80 is known to be a bit scooped, but sounds incredibly complimentary to the K-100. plus if you have a bright amp then these speakers will allow you to tame that brightness. like i am pairing my THD bivalve with a blackshadow and the speaker is so scooped that i can actually use my mid boost on the THD without piercing my eardrums.

the lead 80 is something that i hadn't considered. it's good to hear from someone a bit more experienced what my options are and what they'll do for me. thanks.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
What amp are you using these with? If you're using a mid-heavy amp and you don't like a lot of mids then you will want a speaker with less mid response, if your amp is too thin then you'd want something with a better bass response and less high-end focused, etc.

When choosing a speaker you really need to take into consideration what the amp itself sounds like in relation to what type of tone you're looking for so you can pair it with speakers that compliment its natural tone.

thanks for pointing that out as well. i have a Vox AD100VTH.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
i wouldn't consider mixing the V30's as better, more like they stand out. i prefer a weber 100 watt 12" blue dog with alnico magnet and prerola doping for the role that a V30 would play. but i rocked V30's for a little over 2 years in my orange ppc212, and i was a big advocate of the speaker as it was far more responsive than the K-85's i used before. it was later when me and my buddy started going crazy on speakers and i got my set of webers (alnico blue dog and a ceramic silver bell) that i started becoming pretty critical of the V30. i feel the V30 tries to do too much and tends to be mediocre at everything it does. there are better rock, metal, country, etc speakers out there, but the V30 can pretty much do them all (just not well).

V30's are good if you don't know what you want, or you want a workhorse speaker that cuts in a mix.

311ZOSOVHJH has a lead 80 in his cab, ask him how he likes it. i would guess it sounds a little less scooped than my C90 blackshadow.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae