Good Morning GG+A.
Right now I'm not very happy with my tone and attribute that to a lot of sub par pieces of equipment I'm using. My amp is a B52 AT 112, stock B52 speaker, stock tubes and I think a pre amp tube blew. My guitar is a really nice guitar, it just has pretty piss poor pickups. Duncan Designed Detonators which are cheap Korean made versions of SD Invaders. Way too muddy and dark for my style. And I was looking into a nice OD to make my gain be a little more In your face Judas Priest kinda distortion.
So my question to UG is where should my priorities lie? What fix would give me the largest change and in what order would you go about upgrading these?

Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker $145

New tubes approx. $115

Bareknuckle Painkiller Bridge Pup $140

Rothwell Hellbender OD, $200+ ISP Decimator, $130

Any help is really appreciated
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jun 29, 2010,
Speaker first then valves. You think one is blown? Buy a single 12AX7 and try swapping it out, do that regardless. And buy nice valves when you retube, JJ or something.
Once you have your amp sorted, then look to the guitar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd go for a WGS Veteran 30 over a Vintage 30. It's alot cheaper and sounds just as good.

As far as tubes go, I'm personally not a fan of JJ for preamp tubes (12AX7s). Their 6L6es/EL34s are supposed to be pretty good, however. I'll admit I don't know too much about tubes.

As far as 'tonal impact' I have to say, personally, with all the upgrades I've done to my Valveking, I found that adding an EQ pedal/rack EQ made the most difference. It's allowed me to pretty much precisely add/subtract frequencies that the VK either was lacking or had too much of. Second would be tubes and third would be output transformer swap, followed by the speaker.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Buy your V30 from Avatar - last time I checked they were only $99 + whatever the shipping costs are, like $10 or $15.

But I agree with cathbard - a speaker swap will improve your tone more than a tube swap will.
Quote by denied
A speaker change will have the most impact on your tone.
I'd also look into WGS, weber, and eminence. Celestion are not the be all, end all.

No, but imho most Celestions sound a lot better than WGS or Eminence speakers. Don't know much about Weber, I'll have to look into them.
Yeah, it seems to be a personal thing. I went with a WGS vet30 over the celestion V30 a while back...it just sounded so much smoother. Their ET65 is also fantastic. Not a huge fan of the rest of their stuff.

Weber seem to be pretty fantastic. Am planning to try out some of their stuff soon, I've been hearing rave reviews
Quote by Raijouta
As far as 'tonal impact' I have to say, personally, with all the upgrades I've done to my Valveking, I found that adding an EQ pedal/rack EQ made the most difference. It's allowed me to pretty much precisely add/subtract frequencies that the VK either was lacking or had too much of. Second would be tubes and third would be output transformer swap, followed by the speaker.

I knew I had forgotten something! I had originally planned to also put an MXR 10 Band EQin the OP but it mustve slipped my mind when the time came to type it all out. May I ask what an output transformer is and about some guidelines or suggestions for a good one?

Also, English is not my first language so I appologise for any grammatical errors in the OP or this post, I think I got it all right, yes?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't worry about an OT swap. It's a bit of overkill for a B-52, IMO.

What makes you think a tube is broken?

Well I had originally thought it was. And had asked UG about my incredibly noisy clean channel with static, crackles and pops so loud they would sometimes even cover up the softer notes. When I mentioned my distortion channel had no such noise other than a low hum, about half a dozen replies came in saying it was likely a blown tube.

Whether it is in fact a tube or the fact that my power comes straight from a wall, or microphonic pups or tubes I have no clue.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd even consider a Hellatone from Avatar speakers. It's basically a broken in V30, should sound great.

Basically?

Dude, Hellatone speakers are Celestions - peel the Hellatone sticker off and there is a Celestion sticker underneath. However, Hellatones are the same price as Celestions (for that reason, too) so its all down to whether you want a new speaker or a broken in speaker.
So could I just walk into a local guitar store and say "hey i'd like you guys to order a Hellatone 60 from avatar speakers, how much do you need down?" or what?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie