im not sure this is the right place to post it, but rhcp are alternative rock so i guess it works.

anyway, ive started learning bass a couple weeks ago cuz my friend sold me his bass. i love rhcp and fleas basslines and i tried to play them and they werent as hard as i expected, in fact i think they're actually pretty easy and they just sound rly cool and fast. so i was wondering if he was actually as good as everyone says..

is flea over rated? i know he ranks as one of the best in the world but who would compare with flea?
My little brother compares with Flea.
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
Why does something have to be difficult to be good?
Flea always states he likes his stuff to be simple.
Just because he has a style different from the real greats doesn't make him overrated.
Sure he can't stand next to Wooten and Miller on technical levels, but he has his own way of playing and his own style and he's damn good at it.
I think he is pretty damn good. Try some of his funky shit from the late 80s/early 90s and you might change your mind about how simple his stuff is. Also, he plays trumpet a lot better than you do.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Fleas real strong points were early. Learn some of his Blood Sugar Sex Magic songs, or earlier. Keep in mind how sick he is using his thumb to whack the hell out of those strings.
flea is definately NOT Overrated! he is an awesome bass player! I only believe that you think that shit is easy when you upload avideo of you playing higher gorund on tempo 130
Quote by theflyingapple

anyway, ive started learning bass a couple weeks ago cuz my friend sold me his bass.

So you've been playing your instrument for 2 weeks and think that you can judge a pro just by learning a couple songs? When I first started guitar I learned stairway to heaven with ease, does that mean Jimmy page isn't really that good?
Last edited by JayLacelle at Jun 29, 2010,
Flea is the best bassist I have ever heard. It's not the speed (Although he is... *EFFING* fast) he has SOUL. It's like, comparing Slash to Jimi Hendrix. I mean, (Probably gunna be smashed for this) Slash is awesomely fast, but Jimi's not quite as fast. But he has that extra SOUL.
Quote by JayLacelle
So you've been playing your instrument for 2 weeks and think that you can judge a pro just by learning a couple songs? When I first started guitar I learned stairway to heaven with ease, does that mean Jimmy page isn't really that good?

hey dude, ive been listening to rhcp for as long as i remember and i know almost every single song. i tried the ones that seemed the hardest and they werent so bad. its either that bass guitar isnt so hard or the bass lines arent so difficult.

jimmy page is a legend because the music he wrote wasnt just music, it was more like an art. and his music inspired and influenced so many ofthe bands we listen to now.

not that flea hasnt inspired lots of people, he HAS. that sorta was the reason i bought the bass...

im just wondering if he is overrated when compared to other bassists on a technical level
No way. It's not just about complexity it's how he pushes the instrument forwards. What he does is really innovative and great for the genre in which he plays. Sure there are technically more complicated bass parts written but you come to realise that there's more than that.
Quote by samuraimusaki
Flea is the best bassist I have ever heard. It's not the speed (Although he is... *EFFING* fast) he has SOUL. It's like, comparing Slash to Jimi Hendrix. I mean, (Probably gunna be smashed for this) Slash is awesomely fast, but Jimi's not quite as fast. But he has that extra SOUL.

*smashes you*