I have a guitar solo written for a pop song I wrote.
It starts on 2 (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 etc...)
It still makes sense & sounds good, but its noticable it doesn't start on one.
The reason behind it is because there is a big vibrato note on the next "1" and I'm starting a few notes at 2 that build up to it.

Do other musicians do this? I know for "Hotel California" they didnt start their solo on 1. Im just curious if there are more songs where the solo doesn't start on one.

Do you think people will be wayyy to thrown off by it?
As long as it doesn't have a dramatically different sense of rhythm to the rest of the song, personally i wouldn't be thrown off by it

then again, it's a pop song, so you've gotta be careful
no it think it's fine, it depends on the song obviously so i can't tell you without listening to it but other examples..
knocking on heavens door by guns doesn't start exactly on the first..and lonely day by system of a down doesn't ether.
so yeah other people do it and it pretty much depends on the song.
It's pretty popular to start solos on the 3rd beat of the previous bar as a lead in (or anacrusis), but starting it on the second beat is perfectly fine too, just gives it a different feel and means the phrasing will be different
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
If it sounds good that's all that matters. There are no rules. Actually, if you start every lick/phrase on the first beat it gets predictable. It's better to mix it up.
If it sound good, why the hell would anybody tell you it's not okay?
You could try out if it sounds better starting on the first beat, but if that is the case just do what you like best.

All that theory, time signatures, methods, rules, etc.. it's not that you should ignore it.
Yet you have to remember that anyone worth his salt will tell you that these things are to help understand how music works, but that these things take a backseat to the actual music.
There are no 'rules', only 'guidelines'. If the music doesnt conform to your understanding of the theory, it's not the music that is wrong. It's your understanding of the theory that is wrong
If anything, NOT starting on the first beat leads to interesting songwriting. I don't htink it falls under syncopisation, but it's kind of the same idea. If anythign I'd say it makes your solo cooler then if it were on the first beat.
Quote by shindig864

Isn't that the point of not starting on the first beat?

Back to your topic: Who's going to stop you? The music police?

You know... I didn't think I'd get to use that as much as I do
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Back to your topic: Who's going to stop you? The music police?

You know... I didn't think I'd get to use that as much as I do

Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Damn anybody who tells me how to play music. Damn anybody who tells you your music sucks. Without artistic freedom we would be without many many great musicians who rebelled against socially accepted music rules. Just think of Jimi Hendrix, who perhaps is the one that embraced music freedom the greatest.
Quote by shindig864
The reason behind it is because there is a big vibrato note on the next "1" and I'm starting a few notes at 2 that build up to it.

Do other musicians do this? I know for "Hotel California" they didnt start their solo on 1. Im just curious if there are more songs where the solo doesn't start on one.

If it sounds good and whatnot, then do it. It's your song. Do what you want to make it sound how you want. If you want your solo to start on the 2nd beat, go for it.

Plus, it's not that much of an uncommon thing to do. The melodies (correct word, right?) in classical music, jazz, and often times pop don't start on 1. They'll start 4 of the measure before, the end of the 4th beat (eighth note), 2nd beat, whenever. Listen to a vocal part of a song; they don't always or usually start on the first beat. The only genre I'm aware of where starting on the 1st beat is a big thing to do is funk.

Will it throw people off? Not unless you start on some really obscure subdivision of the second beat. Plus, I remember a former jazz band director of mine saying "rest is one of the most important things to use in a solo."

EDIT:

Quote by ShadesOfGray

This has made my day. Thank you sir.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Last edited by clayonfire at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by shindig864

Your breaking a very important rule !!!

It is written that all solos must start on 1.

shred is gaudy music
Quote by shindig864

You should post Just a couple bars of the solo part so we can hear it.. After all how it sounds is more important than the mechanics of it in my opinion
absolutely not. theory clearly dictates that all guitar solos must start on the first beat of a song in 4/4 time.

nah, man, just messin' with you. in terms of theory, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do that is objectively incorrect.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Silvanarix
You should post Just a couple bars of the solo part so we can hear it.. After all how it sounds is more important than the mechanics of it in my opinion

I believe that if one would have an almost godlike knowledge of the mechanics, how it sounds and how it works from a theory / paper perspective is the same. It's just that music, even (or especialy?) simple music can get so damn complex in how it works, that trying to look at it with our limited knowledge it may just not work in how our theory framework would tells us sometimes..

There is always a reason or principle in why things sound good to our ears. Most of it has been used and analysed at some point or another. What makes it difficult is that good music isnt just one idea or principle, but a whole bunch of them with complex interplays and subtelties and nuances, while our ears mostly say 'hey, that's nice'.

Also, much of or music understanding, the academics of music theory.. well.. about 20 % of it is actual science (somewhat) and the other 80% is what some people thought at some time that it sounded good.

And yeah, there's no argueing taste.