Seeing as my affinity P-Bass (in addition to being an affinity) is almost completely useless the way it is. Neck is totally ****ed and the electronics are spotty and cut in and out pretty frequently. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to fix this bad boy up. I'm almost possitive I'm going to get some Fender 62 Reissue pups. I'm not sure on what replacement neck to go with, so suggestions there are definitely welcome. Other than that I'm thinking I'll put a thumb rest on and maybe a pickup cover just for looks. And lastly I'll probably have D'Addario Chromies and some sort of steel strings, maybe roto's.

What say you bass forum?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I would throw it in the bin and buy a proper, nice bass, and save yourself mucking around with upgrading this one.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Get a better bass.

muck around with a Squire standard p-bass.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
If you are looking to stay within a budget, I picked up a Schecter Diamond P for $500 and I couldn't be happier.
Quote by slaptasticdave
Seeing as my affinity P-Bass (in addition to being an affinity) is almost completely useless the way it is. Neck is totally ****ed and the electronics are spotty and cut in and out pretty frequently. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to fix this bad boy up. I'm almost possitive I'm going to get some Fender 62 Reissue pups. I'm not sure on what replacement neck to go with, so suggestions there are definitely welcome. Other than that I'm thinking I'll put a thumb rest on and maybe a pickup cover just for looks. And lastly I'll probably have D'Addario Chromies and some sort of steel strings, maybe roto's.

What say you bass forum?

Go for it if you want the experience of modding but don't do it because you think you'll get a MIA fender out of it at the end.

anywho

for the neck I wholeheartedly recommend Dr Parts replacement neck. I have one their all maple precision necks on my Squier standard jazz and it is amazing. It's built like a rock aswell. I'm in the process of converting it to a 5 string and I've had all 5 strings on and up to tension without needing to adjust the truss rod. In short it's a damn stable neck. From my experience a lot of replacement necks are too small at the heel to fit a squier neck pocket but the Dr Parts ones are spot on. I picked mine up on ebay for about £50

Replace the electronics with alpha pots and any half decent caps from axesrus and I think you can get the fender pickup from them aswell but I'd recommend you look at wizard pickups before you put your money on the fender set. Wizards are unbelievably good for the price. Their hand made and will give you the vintage tone you want much better than the fender set.

Swap the bridge out for something high mass like a gotoh 201b which in my opinion is the best direct replacement bridge for fender style basses.

If you want to replace the tuners I'd recommend a set of Dr Parts tuners they're good quality and hold tune very well.

Get a nice graphtech nut on the neck and you'll have a bass you can be proud of.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Go look on the Tricked Out Squier Club at Talkbass.com. I'm sure they'll be willing to help you alot.

But personally, I think if you want the modding experience, go for it. If you mess it up, you won't end your life prematurely. However, if you want to get a really nice bass out of this, you'll have to put more money into it than it's worth.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
You could always refinish it, maybe a nice classic Fender Custom Color. Or you could relic it if you like that old, ratty vintage look.

Another thing you could do for the novelty of it (if you're willing to put the $$$ in) would be to Kahler-ize it with a trem. You'd have to do some routing, but it's not a particularly difficult job.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It seems like modding it would cost $200-$300 for the parts and I don't know how much labor I would really need to pay for. So for those saying buy a better bass A) I already have a better bass; B) There's no way, other than pulling a fitz, I could come up with a whole new worth the money.

Dan, does Dr Parts do rosewood fingerboards as well?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave
It seems like modding it would cost $200-$300 for the parts and I don't know how much labor I would really need to pay for. So for those saying buy a better bass A) I already have a better bass; B) There's no way, other than pulling a fitz, I could come up with a whole new worth the money.

Dan, does Dr Parts do rosewood fingerboards as well?

yes they do, here's a link http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-187-dr-parts-maple-precision-bass-guitar-neck-20-fret-replacement-neck-with-rosewood-fingerboard.aspx

Also Dave, all the mods I suggested are just swapping parts so it should all be relatively simple. All the parts should fit the existing body without modification. It's all stuff you'll be able to do with a screw driver and a power drill for fitting the neck to the body and tuners to the neck.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
yes they do, here's a link http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-187-dr-parts-maple-precision-bass-guitar-neck-20-fret-replacement-neck-with-rosewood-fingerboard.aspx

Also Dave, all the mods I suggested are just swapping parts so it should all be relatively simple. All the parts should fit the existing body without modification. It's all stuff you'll be able to do with a screw driver and a power drill for fitting the neck to the body and tuners to the neck.

Great, rosewood is definitely the way to go when you're me.

I figured the neck swap would be easy as well as the tuners. I don't know much about wiring so the pickups could be tough, but I do have an uncle who's good with electrical work and does play a little guitar. So I think I should be able to do all this relatively on the cheap.

Edit: Any suggestions on what to do to get a Fender logo on the headstock? Do they sell such a thing or do I need a forgery?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Last edited by slaptasticdave at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by slaptasticdave
Great, rosewood is definitely the way to go when you're me.

I figured the neck swap would be easy as well as the tuners. I don't know much about wiring so the pickups could be tough, but I do have an uncle who's good with electrical work and does play a little guitar. So I think I should be able to do all this relatively on the cheap.

Edit: Any suggestions on what to do to get a Fender logo on the headstock? Do they sell such a thing or do I need a forgery?

I can't help you there. I know a website that did exact copies of vintage fender decals for pretty much all their models but it appears to have been shut down
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
You could make it a fretless if you don't already have one. That's what I would do.

And I still say to go check out the Tricked Out Squier Club at Talkbass.com. Just for more input.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by lkngro
You could make it a fretless if you don't already have one. That's what I would do.

And I still say to go check out the Tricked Out Squier Club at Talkbass.com. Just for more input.

Already got a fretless and taking out the frets wouldn't solve any of the problems I mentioned anyway
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave
Already got a fretless and taking out the frets wouldn't solve any of the problems I mentioned anyway

I meant get a new neck (since you already need one) without frets. But seeing as you already have a fretless, you don't have to do that.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
I meant get a new neck (since you already need one) without frets. But seeing as you already have a fretless, you don't have to do that.

Ah, you make a good point sir
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid