That is the question (Lame pun, I know)

Anyway i'm trying to get in the habit of one of them. They seem the same with only slight differences and i'm already getting a feel of Alternate picking but I should I learn both or just stick with one? And is there and major differences?

Cheers.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Learn both. If you want to be a skilled guitarist, the more techniques that you can master the better the player you will be. Both techniques are useful, though for different purposes. You can't say which is better.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I'd say just learn alternate. Economy picking is fairly pointless.
Also, if you decide to learn both, I sincerely recommend not learning them at the same time; learn one and then once you've got that down, learn the other.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Economy picking is just a special kind of alternate picking; small groups of alternately picked notes linked together economically between strings.

Begin with strict alternate and then insert the economic movements where they help you play more smoothly... you may find you don't even want to use economy picking at all.
404: Sig not found.
I mostly use alternate picking because I like the rhythm it affords your picking. I feel like the up-down-up-down tempo to the picking helps with timing, and it also feels a bit more natural to me as well.

That being said when I am learning passages in songs I will sometimes use a down-down motion (or something equivalent) to start me off on a better alternate picking run. For instance I prefer to picking outside the strings (going down-up picking from the outside of the string) and so I will occasionally use an economy picking motion to set myself up for such alternate picking.

Most people learn alternate picking, and then might proceed later into economy picking. Its simply a matter of preference.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Be able to do both because there's songs where I will alternate pick, and then the next song I will economy pick just because of how you play the song
My Fav Guitarists
1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Stevie Ray Vaughan
3) Eric Clapton
4) Joe Satriani
5) Slash -If you see this slash PM me

"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel" - Jimi Hendrix
Good lord search for the other identical threads on this topic please, so much flaming over this topic.
Quote by Aleksi

I'd just like to put forth that given all but a few, most licks that would be most suited to alt picking can be transformed to suit the modern, stylish and tasteful economy picker.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Aleksi

Pray do tell: what reasoning have you behind this?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Pray do tell: what reasoning have you behind this?

Anything that can be economy picked can also be alternate picked; not everything that can be alternate picked can be economy picked... Also, note that I said FAIRLY pointless, not entirely pointless.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Generally speaking, if you want to get good at eco picking you have to learn to refinger things to suit it, but you do get a smoother sound. On the other hand, maybe you don't want a smoother sound.

I would recommend getting proficient with one before experimenting with the other, don't confuse your hands as you program them.
Quote by seemeel
Learn both. If you want to be a skilled guitarist, the more techniques that you can master the better the player you will be. Both techniques are useful, though for different purposes. You can't say which is better.

This. There will always be some people who prefer one way and argue that its better. They both have their ups and downs (YAY PUNS), but the best you can do is both.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.