Alright all,

Currently playing through a Mesa boogie nomad 45 which sounds great to me and has some good versatility to it. However, it is insanely heavy and hard to move about. Plus I could use some money.

I'm thinking of maybe going for a good clean channel amp (SS or tube doesn't bother me)....I guess a fender would be the obvious suggestion. Beyond that - IDK. Then for distortion I was thinking of getting a very good pedal - perhaps one with tubes in to warm things up a bit? I noticed the mesa v-twin and thought that it could perhaps replicate somewhat my current thick, creamy tone. However - I have since heard otherwise...anyone got any experience of it? Could it be used effectively as a rhythm and lead channel on top of an amps clean channel? I essentially need a thick, ballsy rhythm channel - what I get from my mesa, and then a good boost on top of that for leads.

Any thoughts?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
In my opinion that is a terrible idea, I dont know what other people might say but for me no line of pedals can replicate a solid tube circuit.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
yes that amp may be heavy but it's weight also tells you that the tone will be good since it's 1. Tubes and 2. good heavy transformer. I say this either put casters on it or get a cab with casters on it problem solved!
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Stick with the Mesa.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
ive got a fender twin with a gain channel. distortion isnt great, but put a tube screamer on it, and i get that super creamy thick tone u were talking about. but i dont see the point in switching amps if ur just gonna keep the same sound. all good amps are pretty heavy. i'd say keep it. working out is good for you
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by jake_the_pake
Alright all,

Currently playing through a Mesa boogie nomad 45 which sounds great to me and has some good versatility to it. However, it is insanely heavy and hard to move about. Plus I could use some money.

I'm thinking of maybe going for a good clean channel amp (SS or tube doesn't bother me)....I guess a fender would be the obvious suggestion. Beyond that - IDK. Then for distortion I was thinking of getting a very good pedal - perhaps one with tubes in to warm things up a bit? I noticed the mesa v-twin and thought that it could perhaps replicate somewhat my current thick, creamy tone. However - I have since heard otherwise...anyone got any experience of it? Could it be used effectively as a rhythm and lead channel on top of an amps clean channel? I essentially need a thick, ballsy rhythm channel - what I get from my mesa, and then a good boost on top of that for leads.

Any thoughts?

you could always invest in a dolly(handtruck) to pull the amp around in. i always fancy combos over head/cabs but after owning a twin reverb i bought a Dolly. ya just plop the combo on the Dolly and wheel it to wherever ya need it. i opted against casters because those tiny wheels pick up massive vibrations IMO, Dollys can come with inflatable wheels and some can even fold up for easy transport.

but if you like your amp, you could just get Dolly or Casters and save your back a bit

and i wouldnt get rid of an amp i enjoyed for money reasons ever again, i did that with the twin reverb...and i've regretted it ever sense.
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Jun 29, 2010,
Either puts some casters on the thing or start lifting weights.

Honestly, I have yet to come across an amp that I found to be heavy.
That amp can't be all that heavy. Might be time to do some exercising. Also, I bet You will hear the difference between a tube and a SS amp. Most SS amps sound flat imo. If You are looking for a good crunch tone don't bother with Fender. I've played a late '70's Silverface Twin for over 25 yrs. The distortion sounds like a turd in a wet bag. However, it is super squeaky clean which is fantastic. Unless You are looking to dramatically change Your sound, why change?
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?