What's with these things? I know they look cool but how the hell do you properly set the intonation on them?

I'm thinking about getting rid of my faded SG and getting a Highway One Tele but the three saddle bridge really turns me off.

Anyone here have a guitar with a three saddle bridge? If so, how do you compensate for the intonation? Is it just getting it "close enough"?
Mine's pretty on the ball really. As long as the entire guitar is set up pretty well, you shouldn't have a problem.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Mine's pretty on the ball really. As long as the entire guitar is set up pretty well, you shouldn't have a problem.

Yeah but I just don't see how that works. On every guitar I've ever had the saddle is slightly different from the saddle next to it. My high e string and b string are never the same nor are my d and g, or a and low e string.
Quote by Kurapica

this.

the straight fretwire is a compromise on the accuracy of the intonation but nobody seems to complain about that. i've never been satisfied with how "in tune" my guitar is whilst playing alongside more precisely intonated reed instruments such as the saxophone, for example. there's always some notes that don't sound right. there's a certain amount of tolerance within the way we perceive a note as being "in tune" and generally with a guitar you don't notice it unless you've got another more accurate instrument to compare it to within the mix. And nowadays our ears are more adjusted to the slight inaccuracies of the guitar anyway. Back in the 17th century or whenever, it was a different story

so basically you shouldn't be worrying too much about having a little less in the way of precise adjustment - the 3-saddle bridge contributes a lot to the telecaster's sound.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
they make compensated saddles if you want 3 and need the extra help intonating.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Electric_guitar_saddles/Compensated_Bridge_Saddles_for_Tele.html

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Here is a link to shop around for the Tele Bridges with 6 individual sandals they have them with and without the raised sides. The Flat ones I feel would be better I don't like how the normal bridge on a Tele feels at all.

fficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=telecaster%20bridges%20with%20six%20saddles&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf">LINK

Thanks man.

I wonder which one of those can just be dropped in without much fussing if any.
I got them custom made so the intonation screw went through on an angle so the saddles sit on an angle.
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender 89 MIJ Standard Strat
Fender 85 Telecaster 62RI (needs a neck)
Cort solid top Acoustic
Marshall JCM 900 Hi gain Dual Reverb
Quote by shiner_man
Thanks man.

I wonder which one of those can just be dropped in without much fussing if any.

none of those can be dropped without changing the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by shiner_man
So are those saddles adjustable or just slightly angled to help compensate for intonation? It appears that they are just angled and you can't adjust them.

just remember its 2 strings per saddle
I've had two 3-saddle teles, one with compensated saddles and one with non-compensated. You can get very close with the non-compensated saddles; you can get a little closer with compensated saddles, but if it's going to bother you with one it's going to bother you with another. I don't think most people would notice a problem with either one, though. It's a very small intonation offset so unless you are extremely picky about your tuning and have perfect pitch, it's not going to bug you.