Generally speaking humbuckers are better as single coils tend to be thinner sounding and are going to be much noisier with high gain, but you really didn't have to make a thread to ask this. Search bar + google will answer your question
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Generally speaking humbuckers are better as single coils tend to be thinner sounding, but you really didn't have to make a thread to ask this. Search bar + google will answer your question

+1

Really the difference is the magnets used and the coil windings, I believe. I'm not an expert in pickup schematics though.

Generally a humbucker is preferred for metal because it has a thicker, beefier tone compared to an SC pickup.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Generally speaking humbuckers are better

What a silly thing to say. The two pickups are different, and are great for different things. It depends on which style you play.

But yeah, ask google dude.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
its all personal you can get double stack single coils like the ones the guys in iron maiden use or like the majority of people in metal, humbuckers are the main choice
Gear:
Gibson les paul 1957 re-issue gold top
Ernie Ball JP signature 7 string
Ibanez RG7620 7 string
Fender Strat 50's classic (mex)
Seagull 25th anniversary acoustic
peavy triple x head
Quote by seemeel
What a silly thing to say. The two pickups are different, and are great for different things. It depends on which style you play.

How so? TS is asking which is better for metal.

Humbuckers give a fuller tone desireable for most metal styles
Humbuckers eliminate 60Hz Cycle hum (the reason they are called Hum Buckers)
Humbuckers are generally hotter
Humbuckers are quieter than single coils with high gain

I fail to see the silly part of my statement. Note my use of the words "generally speaking"
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by seemeel

The TS asked which is better for playing metal and he replied that, generally speaking, humbuckers are. I fail to see how that is a silly response.
i agree. he was answering the question asked. Maybe he should have put in "for metal" into his post, but it was pretty obvious to me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?