Hey dudes, here's a pretty basic question:

I have a MIM Strat. It's a great guitar btw, just while I'm here.

Anyway I tune it to standard tuning, and get it perfect for the open notes. But, when I excite the first harmonic of each string (play a harmonic at the 12th fret, for those who prefer the less accurate version! :P) the pitch is about 1/4 of a tone flat on the low E, and steadily better until the high E which remains in tune.

Why is the first harmonic (which really ought to be a perfect octave, as the mathematically-minded among us should know) flat on the lower strings? Is this an intonation problem? How do I fix it?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
IMO it is intunation problem (actually, that's a way to check your intonation if I remember correctly), so you might want to get that fixed.
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III
Squier Strat Standard
Ibanez RG350EX
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
Quote by seemeel
Hey dudes, here's a pretty basic question:

I have a MIM Strat. It's a great guitar btw, just while I'm here.

Anyway I tune it to standard tuning, and get it perfect for the open notes. But, when I excite the first harmonic of each string (play a harmonic at the 12th fret, for those who prefer the less accurate version! :P) the pitch is about 1/4 of a tone flat on the low E, and steadily better until the high E which remains in tune.

Why is the first harmonic (which really ought to be a perfect octave, as the mathematically-minded among us should know) flat on the lower strings? Is this an intonation problem? How do I fix it?

tune the open string, check the harmonic at the 12th, fret the 12th.
compare those two. if they dont match then adjust the intonation screw.

after you adjust the screw, tune up the open string and repeat, until the harmonic and fretted 12th match.

detailed how to, first post, if you click the green link in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
tune the open string, check the harmonic at the 12th, fret the 12th.
compare those two. if they dont match then adjust the intonation screw.

after you adjust the screw, tune up the open string and repeat, until the harmonic and fretted 12th match.

detailed how to, first post, if you click the green link in my sig.

Sweet, cheers for that. I'll give it a go.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
yep, small turns, and just so you know which way you're going...

If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011