Hey guys.

Well I've been playing 4yrs now and have started to get into thrash bands like megadeth and metallica.

I want to mainly learn megadeth songs basically and I can just play all the thrashy rhythm parts but not perfect, the picking is very sloppy.

My fret hand is far ahead of my picking hand and is up to shredding speed, but the picking hand always loses it, even in straight rhythm.

My picking hand also doesn't feel comfortable, no matter how I hold the pick, or what size/thickness/material/shape pick I use. Sometimes I get a good day (like 5 of them in a year) where it does feel comfortable and my picking hand feels a lot more "springy"and responsive, there's also no sloppiness on these good days.
I don't get it though. When these days come I try to analyze the technique as much as I can, I hold the pick the same, angle it the same but it's never as good and I just go back to that uncomfortable unnatural feeling the next time I play.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could improve it?

I've done all the typical crap like scales/modes/1234's for over a year and it only helped my fretting hand, and sped my picking up to a point where it didn't get any faster, the problem feels as though it's the way I attack, and the sloppiness comes from the way the string is hit, it just doesn't bounce perfectly half the time. It's random it doesn't happen on only downstrokes or only upstrokes it happens no matter what I'm playing.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I've researched how to hold one correctly and seen those paul gilbert videos but it's still not helping.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender 89 MIJ Standard Strat
Fender 85 Telecaster 62RI (needs a neck)
Cort solid top Acoustic
Marshall JCM 900 Hi gain Dual Reverb
Your picking hand has NOT held you back.

your ability to use your hands together in synchronisation is what's been holding you back.

Concentrate on improving you accuracy, not speed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
have you tried playing stuff really slow at first and then try it faster once you have it down? I also like to play alot of megadeth stuff. It took me awhile to learn to play the intro to Tornado of Souls ( not the pinch harmonic part) but after you break the shape down real slow amd slowly build up speed, you'll see how your hands will play in synch. Just take it slow, and practice alot.
Well if you want to get better at playing thrash metal then there's no better way to do it than by practicing thrash metal.

It would also be beneficial to find/make some exercises that force you to work on the technical aspects of playing like string skipping, outside picking, etc. Work on basic skills and the songs will come easier.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Your feathered friend is correct. You need to be accurate first and then build up the speed keeping the accuracey. If will only play as well as the standards you set yourself. If you practice until things are kind of right your playing will be kind of right.
Quote by steven seagull
Your picking hand has NOT held you back.

your ability to use your hands together in synchronisation is what's been holding you back.

Concentrate on improving you accuracy, not speed.

Woah. You're bang on!

I'm always looking at my fret hand, however I just tried looking at my picking hand and even on slower stuff when I got that sloppy/muted sound and noticed I'm still hitting the string with the pick.

It never occurred to me that the string muted when my hands were going at 2 different speeds the strings muted and I can tell that's what's causing my problem.

How do I improve accuracy? Any recommended exercises?
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender 89 MIJ Standard Strat
Fender 85 Telecaster 62RI (needs a neck)
Cort solid top Acoustic
Marshall JCM 900 Hi gain Dual Reverb
Quote by JaMeTTo
How do I improve accuracy? Any recommended exercises?

Simply practice slowly and make sure you're cleanly hitting/fretting notes. There are thousands of exercises for improving hand synchronization such as chromatic runs (1234, 1234) to string skips, etc. Just find something that is a bit difficult and work on your weak points.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15