Hi UG,

Been offered a trade of a JTM 30 + old japanese tele(very nice looking)

for my ht-5 and jtm cab..

seems like a worth while deal to me, just wanted to know what people thought of the JTM as it's a long way for the guy to come for me to decide its not for me?

Also ive read about some reliability issues with the sound cutting out and fading?

Thanks guys for any advice..
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Marshall/JTM-30/10/1

REview there. But apparently there was a overheating problem with the JTM30's
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
yeah some reviews say it plays like a dream and other say it has packed up and needed fixing..
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
type Burnt JTM30 into google, you could end up getting a lemon, buts just my opinion. i've seen a picture of a circuit board for a JTM30, it had melted tube sockets(they used very weak plastic) and the rectifier burnt into the board.

lol i googled it and saw nightmares, im really unsure now, the sound clips were lovely
Quote by stykerwolf
Stick a fan behind it and you should be good to go, it's not a bad amp, just heats up too much, so suppress the heating with cool air.

would changing the tubes or anything alter it's over heating?
Melted sockets? Sounds like replacing the sockets with something good would be a good idea regardless. Thermosoftening plastic in a socket? Who'd a thought? I hope somebody got fired for that!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well for example if i took it to a tech, and asked for it to be serviced like have the dodgey bits replaced how much do you reckon it would cost?
Hard to say. It depends on how the sockets are arranged. It may require removing the board to get to them but I doubt they'd mount 5881s directly to the board. There's not a lot of room in there apparently so if somebody has shovelled physically larger valves in there it could be a problem heatwise. They came with short bottle Sovteks.
If they are easy to get at it would be worth about $50 plus say $20 for two good quality sockets. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like $100. If they are hard to get at then think of a number and add a couple of zeros.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd defo go for it, putting in a fan or 2 is not that big a deal and i recon it's well worth it.