why dont they just make another forum devoted to guitarists who wanna play faster?
or a whole different website.
Ultimate-fast-guitar.com
sheesh

More importantly...

im just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to recreate the (..what i call) "alien abduction" sound on guitar?
dunno how to explain it..

only example i know in a song... is kinda what is being played at the beginning of Manchester Orchestras- Wolves at night.

probably not even a guitar, i understand.
but is it possible to emulate such a sound on guitar?
Well, I think we can all discuss speed within other forum subtopics. Speed isn't nearly the most important part of being a guitarist or musician.

Also, I'm listening to the song right now and I'm guessing maybe you're talking about the delay effect? I'm not really hearing too much else in there, but maybe it's because the youtube video is really low-quality.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
As far as I can tell that's a theremin....as far as recreating the sound.....no idea
If you drag a lighter (zippo) or a piece of metal or something against all 6 strings in the same time with some nice amp effects you get some pretty UFO sounds. But it's not the same like the theremin.
I guess you're taling about the "theremin-like" sound? I think it could be recreated with a floating tremolo (aka floyd rose, etc) You need a metallic piece, another tremolo arm would do just fine (but you need one to actually use the trem in your guitar), then put in on the strings, moving it from side to side and use your trem to give the effect, I guess, as I have a string thru bridge, i cannot try it myself
The Sound you mentioned does sound like a theremin (as was mentioned); However, I
currently use an Electro-Harmonix PolyChorus in my pedal rig and I can get very similar tones by setting the feedback to infinite and tweaking the tuning knob.

Here's a video example.
Last edited by jslavguitar at Jun 29, 2010,
I guessed it before i opened the thread that he registered this month. silly 10'ers
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Get a coin, preferably with a flat edge, and slide it down the G. B, or E strings (the unwound ones). You can also repeatably tap the coin on the strings while moving up the strings. Make sure you do this with distortion.
well believe it or not, enabling someone to learn to play fast with good technique is easier over the internet than teaching someone about phrasing which is related to a players' musical tastes anyway.

You don't have to post controversial titles just to get attention, you'd probably get more responses in GG&A by mentioning you want a marshall full stack for $500 new though.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Here's another sound I think of as the "alien abduction" sound... go listen to House Burning Down by Hendrix - it's near the end, right after he says, "A giant boat from space landed with eerie grace and came and taketh all the dead away~"

To do that, pick a note. Bend it up a whole step. Now with your right hand, trill a minor third up from the note you are bending (or 3 frets higher in case you don't know what a minor third is). You can bend up more or let it go back down as you continue to trill, either way, sounds like aliens or a drunk stupor.
Quote by Deep*Kick
well believe it or not, enabling someone to learn to play fast with good technique is easier over the internet than teaching someone about phrasing which is related to a players' musical tastes anyway.

You don't have to post controversial titles just to get attention, you'd probably get more responses in GG&A by mentioning you want a marshall full stack for $500 new though.

I think this post would have been read REGARDLESS...
i wasnt trying to attract certain people.
OBVIOUSLY i was being sarcastic
Quote by Thrash_Head1990
I guessed it before i opened the thread that he registered this month. silly 10'ers

thats right.
i registered so i could ask a question.

point is?

good job helping out the community.
Quote by STONESHAKER
Here's another sound I think of as the "alien abduction" sound... go listen to House Burning Down by Hendrix - it's near the end, right after he says, "A giant boat from space landed with eerie grace and came and taketh all the dead away~"

To do that, pick a note. Bend it up a whole step. Now with your right hand, trill a minor third up from the note you are bending (or 3 frets higher in case you don't know what a minor third is). You can bend up more or let it go back down as you continue to trill, either way, sounds like aliens or a drunk stupor.

interesting.. but no not what im looking for.
Quote by conor-figgy
As far as I can tell that's a theremin....as far as recreating the sound.....no idea

wow i looked up youtube videos of the Theremin... thats definitely what it is... has to be...
id never seen this before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTZK9FNgK74

haha. kinda funny video actually... but awesome..

anyway yeah i guess ill try messing around with these coins on my guitar and such i guess....
haha.
thanks for the help those of you who actually READ my post besides just looking at my title and wasting their life posting something totally irrelevant.
Quote by Eddy~
So if I can tremolo-pick an open string I rule?

Yeehaw!

Yeah!!! hah. thats the attitude im looking for...
youre good man. real good.
wanna start a band??